Backup Aborting due to drive no longer available

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

I am running V4.8 build 286 on two laptops backing up to a Buffalo NAS attached to a router. I can browse the shared folders on the NAS from both laptops with no issues. Both laptops and the NAS are cable connected to the router.
The backup will not run on one of the machines - it ran on the other this AM after several tries. Here is the tail end of the log from the latest unsuccessful run on the machine with the hard error. I am mystified as to what happened in the short time between when the software verified that the NAS destination folder was available and when it tried to create a file and could not find the folder or drive. Help!!
[2/6/2013 10:54:40 AM] Preparing shadow copy

[2/6/2013 10:55:09 AM] Shadow copy created.

[2/6/2013 10:55:13 AM] Warning: Skipping file C:\Users\Guest\ntuser.dat.LOG1

Destination error (code 64). The specified network name is no longer available. (\\LS-XL690\Innkeeper_Backup\BC Laptop Backup\C\Users\Guest\ntuser.dat.LOG1). \\LS-XL690\Innkeeper_Backup\BC Laptop Backup\C\Users\Guest\ntuser.dat.LOG1.

[2/6/2013 10:55:18 AM] Waiting for user input

Error running backup job 'HP User Folder to Buffalo' from "My Backup Jobs" group.

Cannot create directory "\\LS-XL690\Innkeeper_Backup\BC Laptop Backup\C\Users\public\".

Retry to create directory or cancel backup?

[2/6/2013 10:55:20 AM] Continuing

[2/6/2013 10:55:21 AM] Waiting for user input

Error running backup job 'HP User Folder to Buffalo' from "My Backup Jobs" group.

Cannot create directory "\\LS-XL690\Innkeeper_Backup\BC Laptop Backup\C\Users\public\".

[2/6/2013 10:55:22 AM] Continuing

[2/6/2013 10:55:22 AM] Waiting for user input

[2/6/2013 10:55:24 AM] Continuing

[2/6/2013 10:57:07 AM] Close catalog file "C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Roaming\Softland\FBackup 4\fkcFiles\HP User Folder to Buffalo.fkc"

[2/6/2013 10:57:07 AM] Error: Backup aborted. Reason:

%s: <drive does not exists>

Files skipped: 1

Backup aborted at 2/6/2013 10:57:07 AM with 1 error(s), 1 warning(s)

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
Can you create that path in destination?

Do you have the same problem with a local destination?

Are there many simultaneous connections to the destination drive?

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Your touch was all it took!! :-) The backup worked on the first try this morning - first time in several weeks for this machine. There must be an intermittent issue with the NAS connection - I will take it from here until I learn more. Thanks for getting back to me - it is good to know you all are there to back up the software!
Re your followup questions, the NAS is only used for backups of two laptops using Fbackup, and I can create paths on the NAS tho I have not tested that specific path. Will try it when the backup running currently finishes, and will also try running it to a local destination.