Backup/Restore Strategies

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
MikeyChris

Post by MikeyChris »

I have been playing with computers since 1989, so I am not a novice. Yet for some reason I am confused about the overall BACKUP-RESTORE process. I understand the concepts, but the details seem to leave me wondering what to do in the event of a hard disk crash.
For example, I use Windows 7 Pro, and have used it's backup program to make a system image on an external USB drive. I used FBackup to make a FULL BACKUP of my entire hard drive, and then use FBackup to do a nightly scheduled backup of all data files.
In the event of a hard disk failure, how would I restore from my external USB drive?
The computer came with a set of restore DVD's as well as a restore partition on the hard drive (which would be useless in the event of a hard disk failure), but I can't get the computer to boot from the recovery DVD's (yes, I have set the DVD as the primary boot device in the BIOS), so I am at a loss. Any help/explanation is welcome.

Thanx.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
In case of a computer crash, you need to:

1. Install Windows and all programs

2. Restore the data files backup using FBackup.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

MikeyChris

Post by MikeyChris »

So FBackup will only restore data files?
My problem is that the computer did not come with a Windows DVD, it has a restore partition on the hard drive. I made restore DVD's, so I can restore the computer to the original state. I was then hoping that I could install FBackup, and then restore all apps and data from the external drive using FBackup. I guess the problem with that is the catalogs for FBackup would be lost when the hard disk failed, right? If so how could I even restore the data?

Thanx.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
FBackup should be used for data files backup only. You cannot restore the OS using FBackup.

The backup catalog (.fkc file) is stored in two locations: in the local catalog folder and also in destination. In case of a computer crash, you can open the catalog from destination.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

MikeyChris

Post by MikeyChris »

FBackup should be used for data files backup only. You cannot restore the OS using FBackup.
So even if I restore from the recovery DVDs (and thus have the basic O/S installed on the new hard drive), I can't use FB to restore updates, new INI files, etc. that are in the \system root\? IOW, I can't use FB to restore all the installed programs that were installed after the time of the original recovery DVDs were made?
Does Back4All do this? I am looking for a complete backup solution that restores my computer as quickly as possible after a hard disk failure.

Thanx.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
Backup4all does not back up installed software or OS. Use it for data file backups only.