Can I run mirror backup on another programs full backup?

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
jefferson

Post by jefferson »

I have a full backup already on an external hard drive, uncompressed, file for file type set affair, like drag and drop.....[it was created with Dantz Retrospect, software that came with the WD ext. drive]
Can I begin with fbackup and just run mirror backups building on my daily changed files straight into these already backed up files? If not, why not?
thanks in advance!

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
You cannot do that because FBackup has its own backup catalog where it keeps information about the backed up files. FBackup will compare the source files with the information stored in the backup catalog, to determine which files will be backed up.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

jefferson

Post by jefferson »

Thanks so much for the reply.
My problem is I was backing up to an external hard drive in a mirror style with the Retrospect software and had deleted many old files from the system hard drive, to increase performance and allot space. To the point there no longer is enough room on the system hard drive to copy all files back for FBackup to generate it's own original backup and catalog.
Alternately could I set up a FBackup copy and catalog form the external drive with all files on it to another external hard drive, [one external drive to another external drive], and then edit the/a backup command to mirror from the system drive to a backup hard drive with an FBackup catalog on it? A work around if you will.......clear as mud......?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
You cannot do that.

If you don't have enough space on the local hard drive, you should copy only some files, run the backup, delete them and put other files, run again the backup and so on.

This way, all files will be backed up.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html