FBackup 5, a huge step down from 4

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
shahrokh.king

FBackup 5, a huge step down from 4

Post by shahrokh.king »

hi, i found your FBackup v4 months ago and i was so happy because it was exactly what i wanted for my files backup
last week i installed v5 and i was hopping a beast software because v4 was a really awesome and simple and lightweight tool
but v5 is a disaster compared to v4, huge footprint (121MB vs 27MB!!!!) , really annoying startup method, causing load for windows startup, annoying bugs (like not removing deleted files from backup after i deleted them on original place although i checked "remove excluded or deleted file from backup"), annoying nag to upgrade to backup4all and many more ...
i tried to get back to v4 but surprisingly the catalog files aren't compatible anymore with v4!!
its just my opinion v5 is a disaster compared to v4

please, please do something, don't ruin the best backup software
i don't know, maybe releasing a lite version without unnecessary features

i appreciate your work because its a free app and i want it to be the best
thanks for your effort

Adrian (Softland)

Re: FBackup 5, a huge step down from 4

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Please send me the last backup log in order to see why the deleted files were not removed from the backup destination. To find it, right click the backup job and select View Logs->Last backup log
Send us that file to info[at]fbackup[dot]com

Mforkash

Post by Mforkash »

I agree. I loved Fbackup 4 after I found it a few months ago. I'm a veteran of backup utilities (way back to backing up/restoring from floppies (!) to 4mm, 8mm and VXA at home, and DLT and SDLT at work (and you can only imagine all the programs I've used in all those years).

Sadly, Fbackup 5 has killed my interest in the product. I tried backing up my system today (256GB SSD (90GB used) (C:) and a 2TB Opto-mechanical (F:) (around 650GB total used)) to an internal 1TB drive (X:). Fbackup 4 was able to handle this in 24-36 hours including verify. I Started Fbackup 5 a little bit over 12 hours ago, and it didn't even finish the SSD (only 12%!!) before I killed the backup. The people who make this new program should be ashamed of themselves. It falls into one of two possibilities:

1) FBackup 5 is just badly done and is in the desperate need of an overhaul.
2) Fbackup 5 is intentionally bad to nudge people to buy its' paid sibling, Backup4all.

My current machine is the following:
Asus Sabertooth X79
Core I7-3820 @ 3.60 Ghz
32GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 660TI
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
(hard drives listed above)
(there should be no bottleneck here)

Please understand I'm not trying to start any flaming here. I'm just very disappointed in how bad this product became after it hit 5.x. There must be a reason. I have tried 3 builds of version 5, and I give up.

I've uninstalled Fbackup 5, and will use ver. 4 until I find a better product that suits my needs. Maybe at a later date I'll check to see if it's been fixed.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with FBackup 5.
We will try again to reproduce the problem here. Our tests on large backups were faster.

fitness88

Post by fitness88 »

The earlier 5.0 builds were slow but Build 5.0.242 is much faster than 4.0 and I never see errors or warnings anymore.