FBackup 5 is Not As Good as it used to be

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
DaveS

FBackup 5 is Not As Good as it used to be

Post by DaveS »

I've been using FBackup for a number of years now and recommended it to many people however, since moving to the latest version I have found it to be far less intuitive to use, backups fail where before it just worked. Scheduled backups fail to start, the messages are not clear to tell me whether the backup has worked or failed.

I'm sorry to say that I just don't like the new interface and I wouldn't be able to recommend this version to anyone, sorry.

Dave Sumner :(

Adrian (Softland)

Re: FBackup 5 is Not As Good as it used to be

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Do you want us to take a look at the problems you have in order to see what the problem is?

DaveS

Post by DaveS »

Sorry for the late reply,

I hate to be complaining about software you give out for free and I really appreciate what you are trying to achieve but, in this case I think that you have tried to fix something that wasn't broken. The new interface is convoluted for no apparent reason, the old version 4 just worked and worked reliably but version 5, I have no idea whether my backups work or not. Even the notifications are overly busy and full of options I don't need. I just want a pop up message that says job completed or job failed but I don't seem to be able to just do that.

Why oh why did you change a program that was reliable and worked to something that nobody likes and everyone wants to go back to the old version? I've just read a post where you have mentioned where the old version can be downloaded from, guess what I will be doing next.

I have worked in IT for 20 years and I have never seen an improvement that makes something worse as badly as this has done. Pull the plug and develop version 4 before an alternative appears and everyone jumps ship. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dave Sumner

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

FBackup 5 offers a new design, using the ribbon menu which is mostly used by many other applications (as Office pack).
The information about all backups status is visible now on the main interface.
Also popup notification messages are available now, indicating when a backup started and also the backup result.

jeobenauer

Post by jeobenauer »

The interface is fine. You just need to give it some time to get used to it.

This biggest problem I have with the software is that it is much slower than version 4. However I have confidence in Softland that they are working to fix this problem (I sent log files to them).

Other than that the software is great!/

gkarasik

Post by gkarasik »

Apologies for jumping in here, but....

"FBackup 5 offers a new design, using the ribbon menu which is mostly used by many other applications (as Office pack)."

Yes, and it sucks in Office pack too. First time I ever heard anyone say that "this is the way Microsoft does it" is a good reason for doing anything.

"The information about all backups status is visible now on the main interface."

It may be visible, but it is incomprehensible. There are so many distractions, so many options the implications of which I do not grasp. The beauty of previous versions of FBackup was the simplicity of the interface. Backup successful: Yes/No. If I wanted all this complexity, there were dozens of other choices. Once I got it configured and scheduled, it simply ran without glitch or attention.

"Also popup notification messages are available now, indicating when a backup started and also the backup result."

And? This is a good thing because? I never needed these popubs before; why do I need them now?

Why not give people a choice? How about a Basic interface that resembles the old model, and an Advanced interface that shows all the new features and complications? That way those of us who wish to remain firmly ensconced in the past can do so. Or we can do what I'm doing, which is happily backup up with V4 and ignoring the "improvements" in v5.

Thanks for listening.

GaryK
Last edited by gkarasik on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you don't like the new interface of FBackup. Unfortunately this is the future path for FBackup, having many more features and an updated design. Version 5 of FBackup also includes some feature requests of the users.
We want to offer a good product for our users, so if you have some suggestions or requests to improve FBackup 5, please send them to us.

Jim Rockford

Post by Jim Rockford »

That's excellent news. I look forward to a much slower, less intuitive piece of software that doesn't update properly.

Best,
Jim

isjoni

Post by isjoni »

I Like the new Interface , especially the Ribbon :D
but yeah, hoping the performance can be as fast as version 4.

dmacin

Post by dmacin »

Softland wrote:Hi,
I'm sorry to hear that you don't like the new interface of FBackup. Unfortunately this is the future path for FBackup, having many more features and an updated design. Version 5 of FBackup also includes some feature requests of the users. We want to offer a good product for our users, so if you have some suggestions or requests to improve FBackup 5, please send them to us.
I really appreciate hearing from Softland - thanks. And I like the new interface of FBackup 5.
But I do want to hear your expert comment about the frequently cited problem of slow speed of backups in image mode using version 5 (compared to version 4).
What causes it? Can you improve it?