FBackup Gets Stuck Doing Shadow Copy

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

I've recommended FBackup to several people who I help with their computers, but now I'm beginning to regret this and am a little embarrassed to have to go back to them and say I made a mistake.
I began using FBackup on XP and everything seemed to be working well. Shortly after that I installed Win7 64 bit and have had problems. In doing searches in these forums it seems like there are compatibility issues with Win7 64 bit.
In my case it works sometimes, but other times it gets stuck preparing Shadow Copies (whatever that is).
In one of your replies you say something like, 'it won't work in Win7 if there are open files.' After reading this I always make sure there are no "Applications" showing in the Task Manager, but there's little one can do about all of the background tasks. As you know there are dozens of open files running constantly in Windows operating systems, and all of this cannot be avoided. If it just bypassed these open files it wouldn't create a problem, but if they are what's causing it to get stuck in Shadow Copy then it makes the program almost useless.
In my case it works sometime and other time it get stuck. There seems to be no way to predict whether it will work or not. When I see it has been in Shadow Copy for more than ten minutes I try to cancel and that takes a long time. I've now taken to just removing the program in Task Manager.
I do use BitDefender and see where you've recommended Excluding fbackup.exe and svcsrv.exe. I have excluded fbackup.exe, but I am unable to locate a file named svcsrv.exe. I searched the entire drive for this file and it was not found. Nor does it execute from Run suggesting it either doesn't exist or isn't in a primary Windows area.
It seemed like a very nice program that backups the way I recommend, but given these problems it either doesn't work or is too geeky for novice users. Do you plan to modify the program to overcome these Win7 compatibility issues?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
Please make sure you have the latest version of FBackup installed. The current version is FBackup 4.5 build 230. Many fixes were added and also the problem with "preparing shadow copy" was fixed.
Please note FBackup works fine under Windows 7. If you would also copy the link of my post, I would explain in which situations I wrote that reply. As I don't know the topic you are talking about, I cannot tell you anything except FBackup is working fine under Windows 7.
The correct file name is "vscsrv.exe" and it is located in the FBackup installation folder.
If you use the latest version and still have the problem, please send us the backup log from View->Job Logs->Last backup log to info[at]fbackup[dot]com

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

i_am_jim

Post by i_am_jim »

I had just downloaded and installed the program under Win7 a little over a week before I posted this. I've now installed the latest version (which must have just come out) and will have to see how it goes. Since my failures are intermittent it takes a while to be sure they're gone.
If you would also copy the link of my post, I would explain in which situations I wrote that reply.
Here's the thread I found that in http://www.fbackup.com/forum/topic/shad ... ring-stuck

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
In the topic of the link you provided, I did not wrote about FBackup having problems under Windows 7. My replies were about the configuration settings to be made in BitDefender.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Fish

Post by Fish »

I was using FBackup for just over a year on Windows 7 without any problems. Suddenly this week I started getting the shadow copy problem. I left it for up to 30 hours but nothing happened. I currently have FBackup 4.5 build 232. The only change to the system was that I moved from BitDefender 2010 to 2011 during last week. The backup did work on 4 occasions after the new BitDefender was installed. Could this be the problem?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
That could be the problem as there were some previous issues with BitDefender.

Please read this post and let us know if you still have the problem: http://www.fbackup.com/forum/topic/shad ... k#post-959