Fbackup multiple saved versions Suggestion

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
gail0279

Post by gail0279 »

If Fbackup freeware does not allow for multiple versions of the backup job, why do you have the predefined Advanced option at Run Action Before Backup to "clear old backup" and "abort action when action fails". I believe I understand what the true intent of this is - to not "overwrite" the single version save that Fbackup allows as opposed to multiple saved backups in the Backup4All commercial package.
However this terminology does lead one to believe that there are multiple versions saved. Perhaps a notice about this could be added to the display if /when this option is checked off???

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
No, you misunderstood.

For example: if you use the Mirror backup type, only new and modified files are backed up. If you want to clear the old backup files and run a complete backup, you can check that option.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

gail0279

Post by gail0279 »

thanks Admin butam still a bit confused
the Help file says "A mirror backup is identical to a full backup, with the exception that the files are not compressed in zip files and they cannot be protected with a password." and further that "Full" backup is the starting point for all other backups and contains all the data in the folders and files that are selected to be backed up. Because full backup stores all files and folders, frequent full backups result in faster and simpler restore operations"
If a "mirror" type is used and for example only three files were added/modified on day#2 and the option to "clear old backup files" (day#1) were checked, would this not mean that you would end up with ONLY the three new/modified files
Do I understand correctly that this means if you use "Full" backup each time you are very safe and can be assured that ALL data is fully backed up
each and every time
However if you use "Mirror" you should
NOT
check the option to "clear old backup files".
I don't mean to belabor the point just get a clear understanding so that i can restore all data not just added/modified files.
thanks for a great program!

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
If you use the "Clear backup" option, a complete backup will be performed next time you run the backup, no matter which other options you selected.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html