How do I backup Fbackup?

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
Sool

Post by Sool »

I recently had to restore my Windows installation from an image file that slightly pre-dated my most recent Fbackup data backup. Realising that this could cause problems when next using FBackup, before restoring Windows I also backed up the appdata/softland folder rom the newer version then used this to overwrite the restored version of that folder. This meant that the appdata/softland folder corresponded with the latest backup.
It didn't however work out as I expected because FBackup has since insisted on backing everything up from scratch, which took forever.
How could i have avoided this situation?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
You restored the backup using FBackup and now the restored files are recognized as new/modified?

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Sool

Post by Sool »

Thanks for taking an interest. I think I have now figured out where I went wrong.
Basically, my HD's C:System partition was failing so I replaced the drive. However, instead of cloning D:Data to its replacement I simply copied everything across. That resulted in the folders on the replacement drive acquiring new time stamps, so Fbackup perceived them as modified.
Had I instead cloned D:Data the time stamps wouldn't have changed; hence I imagine that as long as the contents of appdata/softland were in agreement with the backup drive, only the new/modified files would have been backed up.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
If you copied the files, the creation date was different. That is why the files are backed up again.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html