Lengthy testing oppose to data amount/backup

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
fbackupuser

Post by fbackupuser »

I'm backing up over the network, with reasonably low speeds and a few gigabytes of data. I have a small issue with Fbackup:

The backup itself, only takes up (in a test-scenario, ran a few times): ~21 minutes

But with the test afterwards, while the entire network is idle: ~34 minutes
That's +33% INCREASE in time, while I'm pretty all goes well, without a (offering more security, that the data is safely copied) CRC-check that takes up some time.
Please, make it possible for the network backups or as an Advanced setting (add a warning to it if you like, or message box "Are you really sure?"), to turn it off. And out of the few times we do a hard backup, to store the data somewhere else, we don't mind the CRC/MD5/... hash-algorythim check to be sure of our data. But +33% of the time, for a sometimes in our opinions, obsolete check... please no.
Computer/workstation are idle and have a Core2Duo. Network is limited to ~5,5 MB/sec at some locations.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
There is no possibility in FBackup to avoid the test after backup.
For some drives, the read speed is lower than the write speed.

Please make sure that is not your case.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html