Limited Filtering

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
ManterCy

Post by ManterCy »

Your program allows file filtering, why not improve it by adding the ability to filter folders? Allow folders to be excluded or included, within folders selected for backup. Example: I want to backup certain files - only - on my desktop. I don't want any folders from the desktop, while I can uncheck the folders, new folders that I add to the desktop would be backed up unless I manually update the backup job every time I add a new folder.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
We added you feature request on our Whishlist. I cannot give you an exact time when it will be implemented.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

MiG

Post by MiG »

I second that. One of my jobs keeps generating warnings about a 'system volume information' subfolder it can't get into, and there's no need for it to access that anyway.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
Please open the Backup Properties->Sources.

Can you see that folder?

If yes, please remove it from the backup sources.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

MiG

Post by MiG »

Will that just add an exception for that single folder or will that suddenly 'fix' the tree structure?

I.e. if *new* folders are created within the backup source location, will they be included or ignored as well?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
All subfolders created in the source folders, will be included in backup.

MiG

Post by MiG »

Just realised the example above may not be entirely clear. It's like this:
Suppose I have a 'FOLDER1' I normally back up in its entirety, and I untag 'subfolder3'. If at a later date the program in that directory creates a 'subfolder6' and 'subfolder7' as well as a host of new files, will they still be included, or will fbackup continue to just back up those folders that are ticked?
Original situation:

Code: Select all

[v] FOLDER1 [v] subfolder1

_ _ _ _ _ _ [v] subfolder2

_ _ _ _ _ _ [v] subfolder3

_ _ _ _ _ _ [v] subfolder4

_ _ _ _ _ _ [v] subfolder5

Unticking one subfolder:

_ _ _ _ _ _ [-] subfolder3

Program creating two new subfolders:

_ _ _ _ _ _ [-] subfolder3

_ _ _ _ _ _ [?] subfolder6

_ _ _ _ _ _ [?] subfolder7

What happens to the newly created subfolder6 and subfolder7?
Is the folder mask rather "everything that's in there except for subfolder3", or does Fbackup store a folder mask with just the items *ticked* for backup, in other words is this folder mask 'exclude' or 'include'?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
If you add a folder to the backup sources, all subfolders will be automatically included.

The new subfolders will be automatically included in backup too.

If you choose to exclude (uncheck) some folders they won't be backed up.

MiG

Post by MiG »

That's what I was hoping for, thanks for clarifying :)

gworley

Post by gworley »

I am the "IT Person" for my Church. I have one machine that I setup users on for members of the church -- for security purposes everyone has their own logon and their logon is passworded. I am using Google Desktop on this machine and its indexes are huge and are put under %userprofile%\local settings\Google -- I don't need to back these indexes up s they would be "re-created" on a new machine if the hard drive was to fail. I have currently 10 users of the one machine and add and subtract users all the time. I would like this feature -- ability to filter by sub-folder... currently, I have to go to every user profile and deselect the Google folder so that these huge files some of them are 4 plus gig which slows the backup process down. Please add the ability to filter by folder as it is cumbersome and time consuming to do it manually. Thank you.