Major bug with fbackup 5

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
fullerdf

Re: Major bug with fbackup 5

Post by fullerdf »

Softland wrote:Hi,

Please send us the last backup log for the backup job with problems.
To find it, right-click the backup job and select Job Logs->Last backup log.
Send it to info[at]fbackup[dot]com
Note that one can not use this procedure ... can not "right click the backup job" ... unless FBackup starts properly. Because FBackup never completes the start up process and allows one to see the jobs and logs, one can not see or send the logs per your request/instruction. Please advise where the logs are stored so that they can be found using the file manager.

Also note that my version 5 seemed to work properly for a daily mirror backup to a network location for several days but now is failing due to the IPC issue.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

The logs are stored in this location:
C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Softland\FBackup 5\Logs\

podoc

Post by podoc »

I sent you 2 logs

fullerdf

Post by fullerdf »

fullerdf wrote:

Please send us the last backup log for the backup job with problems.
To find it, right-click the backup job and select Job Logs->Last backup log.
Send it to info[at]fbackup[dot]com
Note that one can not use this procedure ... can not "right click the backup job" ... unless FBackup starts properly. Because FBackup never completes the start up process and allows one to see the jobs and logs, one can not see or send the logs per your request/instruction. Please advise where the logs are stored so that they can be found using the file manager.

Also note that my version 5 seemed to work properly for a daily mirror backup to a network location for several days but now is failing due to the IPC issue.
Interesting development. Today I can start and use FBackup 5 and see the log of the last scheduled backup without incurring the IPC issue.

I thought the last scheduled backup had likely failed but on closer examination, my scheduled mirror backups for the last two days ran properly. However, yesterday when I attempted to start Fbackup manually to run the same job, the IPC issue prevented FBackup from starting and running the job manually.

Today FBackup works/starts again. I had no issue with a manual start of a backup job even though nothing has been done to reinstall the program. I will zip and forward the logs for the last few jobs if they would be of help. Let me know.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Can you tell me what was different when you were able to run the backup without that error? I still cannot reproduce the problem here.

fullerdf

Post by fullerdf »

Can you tell me what was different when you were able to run the backup without that error? I still cannot reproduce the problem here.
My backup job is scheduled to run daily at 2PM. It is a mirror of my laptop to another desktop computer on my home network. Some days the backup is unusually large (has a lot of new files to backup) because I am working on editing an audio file using Audacity. If the work is not completed before the backup job runs, several hundred "temporary" files are backed up. These are "trash" files. Thus I usually try to manually run a backup after Audacity work is closed to both backup my work and delete all the temporary files that were backed up unnecessarily.

That is what happened the day of the failure. After completing work with Audacity, I manually ran a backup and found that FBackup 5.0 would not start properly due to the IPC communications error. I could not see whether the scheduled backup ran properly since FBackup would not start. I tried several times unsuccessfully to complete the manual backup then checked the forum here and saw others were having issues. At that point I assumed that the scheduled job earlier that day had also failed but I could not see the logs.

In the mean time, the next scheduled backup ran properly (to my surprise) and you provided the location of the log files so I was able to review the logs and see that the previous scheduled backup had completed properly. I have zipped the logs and will send them to you if they will help you to sort things out. The zipped folder has several logs ... several for good daily backups and several failed manual attempts. Let me know if you want them. For now the problem seems to have cured itself and both daily and manual backup jobs start and complete properly.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please send me the logs for the failed backup executions to info[at]fbackup[dot]com

wags

Post by wags »

I have the same Connection to IPC server lost issue. It's with build 192. Is there a fix comming?

wags

Post by wags »

Nobody home? :cry:

jeobenauer

Post by jeobenauer »

Go to announcements. There is a new build available that addresses the IPC connection issue. Build 192. I tested it and it works.