Major bug with fbackup 5

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
jeobenauer

Major bug with fbackup 5

Post by jeobenauer »

I need to report a major bug which is preventing me from moving up to fbackup 5.

I have tried fbackup 5 but there is a major issue on my system which did not exist with fbackup 4.

Every now and then it has a problem connecting to the backup service, even in the middle of a backup. Specific Error "Connection to IPC Lost". It asks if I want to restart the service, and I answer yes, but it does not seem to do any good when I press Yes. If I press No then the program just exits.

I mostly have this problem with large backup jobs. After waiting several hours for the backup to complete it is frustrating to have it end like this.

I have re-tried several times but am always hit with the same error.

I am running windows 8.

I did not have this problem with version 4. I therefore need to re-install version 4 and re-create my backup jobs.
Last edited by jeobenauer on Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

podoc

Re: Major bug with fbackup 5

Post by podoc »

I had a similar issue with a large backup just stopping. All of my backups with fbackup 5 took forever so I
went back to 4.8.0.275 and have no problems. I even uninstalled 4.8 and 5.0, cleaned my registry, and formatted the disks I was backing up to,
without any increase in speed. This has happened before with other major upgrades. Sooner or later, Softland will fix and I will upgrade again.

jeobenauer

Post by jeobenauer »

After re-installing version 4.8, the large backup completed without issue. I also agree that version 4.8 is much faster than version 5.

I don't think version 5 is ready for prime time yet.

Lance

Post by Lance »

I've gone back to the old version too. It has such a nice, simple.. almost cheerful interface. FBackup 5 looks jumbled in comparison, and also leaves a "b-service application" in the process queue. So yeah, I'm staying old school, at least for now.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Please send us the last backup log for the backup job with problems.
To find it, right-click the backup job and select Job Logs->Last backup log.
Send it to info[at]fbackup[dot]com

podoc

Post by podoc »

Sorry, I uninstalled 5.0 and the logs.
This would not address the main issue that 5.0 is horribly slow.
4.8 was excellent and I continue to use it.

jeobenauer

Post by jeobenauer »

I also uninstalled it. But before I did I went to look at the log and it was missing.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Can you describe a little: the backup size, backup destination type, backup type, the time difference from version 4 to 5?

podoc

Post by podoc »

Size 100 gb +/-
External hard drive
Mirror
Hours
Either freezes or takes forever

Even smaller backup to my hard drive took forever

MikeyChris

Post by MikeyChris »

Hello,
I am running Win 7 Pro SP1 64 Bit on a Lenovo ThinkCentre M70e 4 GB Mem, 500GB internal HDD, 2TB interal SSD and two 2TB USB drives. I just installed Fbackup Version 5 (had used 4 for years). I did a large MIRROR yesterday (about 190 GB) and the backup took over 10 hours, and the TEST took about 5 hours. There were no other tasks running (other than the bajillion things Windows finds necessary to do).

When i checked the logs (I did a smaller backup before the large one) they both showed a start time but no finish time even though the B/U & TEST tasks completed.

Just my 2 cents worth.