New backup when backup files already present

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
gregthepirate

Post by gregthepirate »

Hi all
If I set up a new mirror backup of a folder and save it to a location in which a carbon copy of the files already exists, will this prevent FBackup from re-copying all the files across again? i.e. will FBackup scan the existing files in the backup folder and only copy across additional or altered files?
I plan to use the software to backup a substantial music collection which is already duplicated on a separate drive and would hope to avoid the many hours it would take for FBackup to run a mirror backup.
thanks

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
FBackup uses a backup catalog and it won't scan the existing files in destination to create the catalog. All files will be backed up again.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

thomasdaley

Post by thomasdaley »

This fact is a little annoying. I had to reinstall windows and I have to re-backup 2GB worth of files that are already on the HDD.
Because of this Im looking elsewhere for software. Not good enough.
Why cant the software do a compare between file during the catalogue creation to stop time wastage.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
If you create the copy of the files using FBackup, the files in catalog won't be backed again even if you reinstall Windows.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

cmarti02

Post by cmarti02 »

Hi,
I was using another product, but it wouldn't backup open files. When I found FBackup, I thought it would solve this issue. But, like the two users above, I already have a complete backup on external drive. I just want move to FBackup. I have set up a Mirror backup to the external drive. But, when I start the job, it fails when it finds the first file on the existing backup. Here are the error messages at the end of the log file.
[6/23/2011 9:40:39 AM] Warning: Skipping folder C:\Oracle\ora90\sysman\admin\createoemformstables.sql

Destination error (code 0). The operation completed successfully. (G:\C\Oracle\ora90\sysman\admin\createoemformstables.sql).

[6/23/2011 9:40:40 AM] Waiting for user input

Error running backup job 'Backup C Drive of HP Laptop' from "My Backup Jobs" group.

Cannot create directory "G:\C\Oracle\ora90\sysman\admin\createoemformstables.sql\".

Retry to create directory or cancel backup?

[6/23/2011 9:40:47 AM] Continuing

[6/23/2011 9:40:50 AM] Close catalog file "C:\Documents and Settings\martincu\Application Data\Softland\FBackup 4\fkcFiles\Backup C Drive of HP Laptop.fkc"

[6/23/2011 9:40:50 AM] Error: Backup aborted. Reason:

Cannot create a file when that file already exists

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
Can you manually create this folder in destination?

G:COracleora90sysmanadmincreateoemformstables.sql
Do you have enough permissions to copy files in destination or overwrite them?