Outlook backup - FBackup 5

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
drtim

Outlook backup - FBackup 5

Post by drtim »

I have just updated from FBackup 4 to FBackup 5

I used the Outlook plugin in FBackup 5 for backing up Outlook 2010

There is a big difference between how FBackup 4 backed up Outlook. I used this post to accomplish that:
http://www.fbackup.com/forum/backup-out ... gs-t6.html

FBackup 4 did a backup to C\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook where you can see the actual PST files and their extensions

FBackup 5 does a backup to Microsoft Outlook\Profiles\Outlook\Personal Store where you can see files, but not as PST files. I think they are PST files, but are not named as such. Rather they are named with (1), (2), (3) at the end of each PST file. Is this accurate and can I delete the FBackup 4 Outlook PST files?

If need be can I rename the PST (I think) files from the FBackup 5 backup as PST files. Can I manually add the PST extension if need be?

Thanks

Happy New Year

Tim

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Outlook backup - FBackup 5

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

You should not change the backup files extensions as they won't be recognized at restore.
If you imported the backup from FBackup 4 to FBackup 5, the backup should continue. Deleting a file in destination will affect the actual backup.
If you started a new backup in FBackup 5 to a different location, you can remove the backup from FBackup 4.

drtim

Post by drtim »

Let's say there comes a day that I require the backup PST files via FBackup 5. At that point can I rename them with the PST extension? Presently they do not have a PST extension, as they did in FBackup 4. Thanks.

drtim

Post by drtim »

In the situation above, what if I did not or could not use FBackup for the Restore and had to do it manually from the backup destination folders? Thanks.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

You can do the manual renaming if you want as long as you rename them back.

As for the second question, if you want to manually restore the files from destination, if you used the Full backup type, you can extract the files with any zip tool as WinZip. If the Mirror type is used, you can use Windows Explorer to manually pick the files.