Privacy – Is it Guaranteed by Softland?

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
Max

Privacy – Is it Guaranteed by Softland?

Post by Max »

'
Though there are many other options available, I decided to try FBackup for two reasons.

Firstly, it facilitates mirroring. And - I hope I’ve got this right - that means it should not only continually execute all additions and changes in the data being mirrored but, also, all deletions. Please correct me there if necessary.

And, secondly, the app is advertised as supporting “automated backups to local, external or network drives”.

This seems to suggest that all of a user’s private data will always remain private because it will never leave his own (entirely private) domain. Put simply, the user’s data would be staying within his own local, external or network drives, over which he has complete control.

But, is that the case with FBackup?

On these forums, users report that they have been receiving messages via the app which say …

“Do you want to restart the IPC server? There was an error while trying to connect to the IPC server. Cannot connect pipe client”

What exactly is the IPC server; and what is the pipe client? Where are they rooted and based? Is this IPC server entirely integrated into, and totally limited to, the software that is installed on the user’s own private computer, or is it a server that is in the domain of (and the control of) Softland?

If it is the latter, then our private data may already have been taken away into ‘the cloud’, when, all that we had set out to achieve was local backup! (There are one or two very secure cloud-based apps out there if we actually want that type of service). We would then have lost control over the very thing that matters most to us – our privacy.

Would some with authority kindly shed the full light of day on this matter?

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Privacy – Is it Guaranteed by Softland?

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

There is nothing to worry about.
The message you mentioned is about the FBackup integrated service (bservice) which is installed as a Windows service. That is used to communicate between different FBackup clients (bBackup.exe, bRestore.exe, bTest.exe) and the main interface (FBackup.exe) using pipes. The entire action is performed locally on your computer. There is no private data sent in cloud. You can even monitor that using a net monitor application.

Max

Re: Privacy – Is it Guaranteed by Softland?

Post by Max »

Softland ...

Thank for your explanation and for your reassurance.

Max