repeat backups take same time

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
darrelj

repeat backups take same time

Post by darrelj »

Once backed up- I thought all scheduled backups that happen after that will take very shorter time. But I experienced that it does a full backup as new rather than backing up what was only changed.

Is this correct?

Adrian (Softland)

Re: repeat backups take same time

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

What is the backup type you selected in Backup Properties->Type page?
If you selected Full, then a full backup will be executed every time.
If you selected Mirror, the first execution will be a complete backup, then only new and modified files will be backed up.

Beckler

Post by Beckler »

I have a related issue. I'm using Mirror and still I've watched it go thru files already in the backup and re-add the same file. A block of like 20 large files that I know weren't modified by me. Maybe a modified attribute is triggering backup incorrectly?

pambrager

Post by pambrager »

I am experiencing the same problem plus some.

The first back up takes 12 hours (I have a lot of photos). Each repeat back up takes the same amount of time. Sometimes at the end of the 12 hour backup the external hard drive is actually empty!

I am running two backups, one every other day to external drives using Mirror<fast mirror, create full paths,remove excluded or deleted files from backup. No encryption. Quick test after back up. Smart file scanning mode.

I would happily buy Backup4all if it would fix my problem! This issue began for me with the last FBackup 7.1 update. Any suggestions to getting my backup to just update changed files?

Beckler

Post by Beckler »

I repeated the same backup again, now a just week later and it doesn't re-add those files again. It does however find a few random folders which the log says it has "added" - but it seems no files were added (folder is old and unchanged so has nothing new). I have noticed the longer you wait to do a backup, the more random stuff it starts adding incorrectly. I know it's incorrect because they are files I created and never altered. There are also some system type files I never use that get updated - not needed, but correctly identified. So that's not the problem.

Maybe it's time to find software that actually works because this means you can't trust that this program isn't doing other random stuff like skipping files or deleting for that matter. I guess this is what you get with free versions though...and this forum is dead, too.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please open Backup Properties->Advanced page.
Uncheck the "Smart file scanning mode" option, if selected.
If you still have the problem, please send us the last backup log and the .fkc catalog file (from the backup destination) to info[at]fbackup[dot]com

Beckler

Post by Beckler »

Ok, Smart Scanning was checked, so I unchecked it and will try again in a few days. Thanks.

Beckler

Post by Beckler »

There still seems to be an issue. Things seemed ok until now, when I added a new folder to the mirror backup and when it ran, it started doing the entire backup again. All the existing sources are the same and the new source is on a different local drive than the rest if that matters. Smart scanning box is unchecked.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please send us the last backup log and the .fkc catalog file from the backup destination to info[at]fbackup[dot]com

Beckler

Post by Beckler »

Softland wrote: Please send us the last backup log and the .fkc catalog file from the backup destination to info[at]fbackup[dot]com
Is there specific info from those I can get for you?