Replacing Drives

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
JackNaylorPE

Replacing Drives

Post by JackNaylorPE »

Have an SSD that is 9 years old with 4 partitions. Selected each partition, selected all files and folders except for except for System Volume Information and Recycle Bin. This is a data only drive. On 1st partition with set aside for AutoCAD drawings, their *.bak files and related support documents (mostly PDFs and JPGs) I would up with only 9,000 files out of 11,000. How to I make a complete mirror of the drive, except for Recycle Bin (empty) and System Volume Info of course ?

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Replacing Drives

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Please open Backup Properties->Filters.
Disable all filters and run again the backup. All files should be backed up.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

JackNaylorPE

Post by JackNaylorPE »

I looked at the filters when this happened .... but it describes the applied filters as "temporary files".. As there are no Temporrray Files on the drive, a) I don't see how this applies... or the description is not accurate.

Unchecked all the Filters:

Old Q= 12,145
New Q = 12,165 ... gained some files but I deleted some on the old drive since the backup

Old R = 161,610
New R = 161,603 lost 7 files

Old S = 10,625
New S = 10,492 list 133 files

Old T = 158,566
New T = 158,399 lost 167 files
Attachments
WinDirStat.png
WinDirStat.png (33.24 KiB) Viewed 40853 times

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

It is not clear for us: did you unchecked all the filters in Backup Properties?
The excluded file types as: .bak are in rare cases used by some applications as non-temporary files. That is why you can include them if you want an exact copy of all files.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

JackNaylorPE

Post by JackNaylorPE »

"I looked at the filters when this happened .... but it describes the applied filters as "temporary files".. As there are no Temporrray Files on the drive, a) I don't see how this applies... or the description is not accurate.

Unchecked all the Filters:
"

I don't understand.... given the above in red, what is not clear ?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please use a compare application to determine the exact files which were not backed up.
Let us know the path and the name of such a file.

JackNaylorPE

Post by JackNaylorPE »

One other question ....

After making the backup, I notices that the backup drive was heavily fragmented....Much more so than the original drive ... how does FB do a mirror on an empty drive ? ... I would of thought that it went file by file which should have resulted in 0% fragmentation. The manual is silent on this topic.

JackNaylorPE

Post by JackNaylorPE »

Again, my goal was to create a new direct copy of Old partition R:\ to new partition R:\ on N:\ for which I have used "New R" as a Temporary Volume Label ... once I'm sure all is right with the world. I will toss original R:\ and reassign the N:\ (New R) voilume label

Original Partition R Structure is

R:\Folder A
R:\Folder B
R:\Folder C

What F Backup creates is:

N:\R\Folder A
N:\R\Folder B
N:\R\Folder C

How do I stop FB from creating the R\ Folder on "New R"

Adrian (Softland)

JackNaylorPE wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:55 pm
One other question ....

After making the backup, I notices that the backup drive was heavily fragmented....Much more so than the original drive ... how does FB do a mirror on an empty drive ? ... I would of thought that it went file by file which should have resulted in 0% fragmentation. The manual is silent on this topic.
Hi,

Please make sure you are using the "Copy files using Windows native API" option in Backup Properties->Type page.
We just made a test on a new formatted drive and the fragmentation is 0% after the backup.

Adrian (Softland)

JackNaylorPE wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:50 pm
Again, my goal was to create a new direct copy of Old partition R:\ to new partition R:\ on N:\ for which I have used "New R" as a Temporary Volume Label ... once I'm sure all is right with the world. I will toss original R:\ and reassign the N:\ (New R) voilume label

Original Partition R Structure is

R:\Folder A
R:\Folder B
R:\Folder C

What F Backup creates is:

N:\R\Folder A
N:\R\Folder B
N:\R\Folder C

How do I stop FB from creating the R\ Folder on "New R"
Hi,

Please open Backup Properties->Type.
Uncheck the "Create full paths" option and press Save.
When you'll run again the backup, the destination path won't include "R" folder.