Severe Error Reporting

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
jrsmiths

Post by jrsmiths »

Hello, I am new to Fbackup. I have it setup to run at 1am each morning. I tried to force a severe error by turning off the external backup media. Fbackup kicked off, logged the error message and disappeared. What I want to happen is to have it run successfully 99% of the time just logging warnings, and I never notice or see it - but when a severe error like this is encountered, I want to know about it.
Thank you.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
Have you set the scheduler to close after backup?

In FBackup, the job icon will have a red X meaning there was an error during the backup and also the status indicates "Last backup failed".

When the job is started by the scheduler, no other window messages appear.

Such window messages appear when you manually run the backup job.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

jrsmiths

Post by jrsmiths »

Thank you for your quick response. I start my system, and Fbackup is minimized in the system tray. The scheduler starts it at the correct time, and I can see the system tray icon flashing green, then it disappears from the system tray, so I don't see the icon with the red X. So I start it again, and on the main screen it says last backup failed and when I view the last system log, I can see it failed because the backup media was not available. Under options I have all of the following checked: Start at Windows Startup, Show Tray icon, Minimize to tray and Show errors in tray. I also have noticed, Fbackup doesn't stay in the system tray when it is successful either. I am running XP Home SP3, thanks for your help.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
1. Do you have the "Close after run" option checked in Backup Properties->Scheduler->Edit properties? If yes, please uncheck it to leave FBackup running.

2. I just checked and the error is correctly shown in Tray. A red box is displayed over the FBackup icon.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

jrsmiths

Post by jrsmiths »

My mistake, that was it. Thanks for your help.