Skips backup of PST file

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
bergerhl

Post by bergerhl »

I keep getting these warnings on my PST file even after re-booting and all other programs, including Outlook, closed.
[1/3/2011 4:11:28 AM] Warning: Skipping file C:\Documents and Settings\Howard Berger\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Howard 2006.pst
Destination error (code 32). The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. D:\MyDocs and PST - mirror\C\Documents and Settings\Howard Berger\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Howard 2006.pst.
Anyone have an idea why?
Thanks,
Howard

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
Please make sure no antivirus is scanning those files in the same time.
Backing up open files has the following limitations: It works

- only on Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server, Windows Vista or Windows 7

- only for users with administrator access rights to copy open files

- only on local hard drives

- only on NTFS formatted partitions

- only if the VSS (Volume Shadow Service) is running and it is properly configured

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

bergerhl

Post by bergerhl »

I think I'm compliant in those areas. It did work once, about a month ago, but has been giving me errors since I switched to a mirror backup format. Funny thing is everything else backs up fine except for the Outlook data files (both outlook.pst and archive.pst).

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
Can you manually copy those files while Outlook is closed?

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

bergerhl

Post by bergerhl »

Great suggestion. Tried copying but am getting a message that there isn't enough free disk space - but the drive is 90% free and just analyzed/defrag'd just in case.
Looks like it's not an FBackup issue - any suggestions?

bergerhl

Post by bergerhl »

Think I figured it out. My PST files are both over 7Gb and FAT32 partition can't write anything larger than 4 Gb so am turning compression back on.