those "remembering files"

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
Den1456James

those "remembering files"

Post by Den1456James »

Hi,
I use Fbackup ver 4.8 (free version).
I wish to backup files in drive D to an external drive. If from some reason I reformat my windows in drive C and installs it again, which files should I backup that keep the settings and tasks of Fbackup (including all the folders and file names to be backed up) and also make sure that when I restore these settings and tasks, it will recognize / remember that the backup did not change ?

Adrian (Softland)

Re: those "remembering files"

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

In FBackup, there is a plugin called FBackup configurations.
Create a new backup job using that plugin to back up your FBackup configurations.

Den1456James

Post by Den1456James »

Hi Softlan,
Thanks for your answer, but I couldn't find this plugin in the installation folder or in the internet.
Can you please send me a link to that plugin ?

Den1456James

Post by Den1456James »

Sorry for repeating my question, but can you please send me the "FBackup configuration" plugin file ?
I don't do any backup for now because when I reformat my windows, all the backup settings has to be done again.

Thanks in advance.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

That plugin is installed with FBackup, it cannot be downloaded individually.
If you don't have it, please uninstall and reinstall FBackup. All jobs and settings will be preserved during re-installation.

Den1456James

Post by Den1456James »

Hi,
I uninstalled v4.8 and installed v5. There are 7 plugins in the plugin folder, but non of them contains this name or similar name.
I have unintalled v5 and reinstalled v4.8. There are 4 plugins in the plugin folder, but non of them contains this name or similar name.

Maybe this can be of help: I found another thread in this forum with the exact same problem:
http://www.fbackup.com/forum/saving-bac ... t1017.html
The same plugin list he has is the same one I have.

What should I do now ?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Can you give me access to your computer using TeamViewer to see what the problem is?

Den1456James

Post by Den1456James »

Hi,
Finally I understood the problem. I had no clue that when I run FBACKUP there is a "Fbackup configuration" when choosing the sources tab (using the advanced mode GUI).
I have backed it up. Now, if I reformat my windows, how should I restore these settings ?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

After you reinstall Windows, just install FBackup and open the .fkc catalog file (for the job with configurations). The backup job will be recreated in FBackup. Run the restore.

Den1456James

Post by Den1456James »

Hi,
I didn't succeed with Fbackup v4.8 to restore configuration, but I did succeed to do it with v5. I like your software. There are some things which I find important and think would make your software better. I will explain.

I have 2 windows installations (one for experimentation).
1. I installed Fbackup 5 in both of them (HDD1 and HDD2)
2. On HDD1 I created a backup job named "test" (includes various files and folders)
3. On HDD1 I created another backup job of the Configuration plugin and called it "configuration".
4. I restarted to windows of HDD2.
5. I run Fbackup, opened the "configuration" job and executed it. After it finished I could see my "test" job.

The problem is the drive letters seen from windows installation of HDD1 is different than the drive letters seen from windows installation of HDD2, meaning, my source files and destination files drive letters are incorrect now, so:
• I practically need to define the job from the start
• Then if I start that backup I might find myself waiting hours for Fbackup to backup my files again because all the files would not be recognized as identical.
This simulated situation can happen from many reasons causing new drive letter assignments be made and it should be treated.

Another thing which I think would make life much easier is to let the user define the folder where all the configuration files should be saved. This is much better than dealing with the Configuration plug-in which consumed much of my time to understand.

I would appreciate any solutions to the questions above which I need to deal with my current Fbackup version 5.