Unable to schedule backups

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
MikeyChris

Post by MikeyChris »

Not sure what happened, I had scheduled several backups before, and everythign worked fine. Then I started having problems. So I updated to FBackup 4.6 build 253 in hopes it would cure the problem. It didn't. I am running Win 7 Pro 64 bit O/S.
When I follow the instructions at:
http://www.fbackup.com/forum/topic/how- ... led-backup
I have problems because that summary must have been written before Win 7. If you try to schedule a job NOT using FBackup the Task Scheduler menus are all different.
When I try to schedule a backup WITH FBackup (using an existing job), everything works until I get to where you click OK on the Scheduler Properties window. I select "With Windows Scheduler", I am asked for my Windows password, which I eneter and verify, then click OK but the SCHEDULER WINDOW never opens, so I can't set the day and time.
If I try to add a schedule using the built-in scheduler it works.
Am I doing something wrong?
Thanx.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
After you created the scheduled task using FBackup, can you see it if you go to Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Task Scheduler?

Can you edit the start time?

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

MikeyChris

Post by MikeyChris »

> Can you edit the start time?
I just created a new job to run weekly on staurday at midnight using the internal scheduler. It added an entry to TASK SCHEDULER that reads: FBackup Scheduler_Owner which I guess would start the internal FB scheduler. Yes, I can edit the start time. By default it was set to AT LOG ON and I changed it to the time I wanted the backup Staurday at 12:00AM Midnight.

MikeyChris

Post by MikeyChris »

The backups I scheduled to run on FBackup's internal scheduler didn't run. Is that because the computer went to sleep? If I do not use the computer for a while it locks itself and requires a login. I have tried to defeat this, but have not been able to. Is this the reason the FB internal scheduler didn't start the backup?

Thanx.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
For Windows schedulers, in Backup Properties->Scheduler->Edit->Schedule->Settings, there is an option to "Wake the computer to run this task". Use that option if the computer goes into sleep mode.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

MikeyChris

Post by MikeyChris »

When I first installed FBackup the scheduler seemed to work fine. Then I started having a couple weird issues, so I updated to version 4.6 build 253 but the issues persisted. Here is a summary of the differnet problems I have had:
1) Using Windows Task Scheduler, if I generate a NEW backup, the dialog box used to set the frequency, time, etc. never shows up.
2) If I duplicate an existing working backup set and edit it, sometimes it shows up in TASK SCHEDULER but does not run. For examaple, looking at the logs it shows the backup starting and ending at the same time, and no log is generated.
3) If I copy a task inside Windows TASK SCHEDULER and modify it, the schedule (clock) icon does not show up inside FBackup, and the scheduler shows no task scheduled.
4) Sometimes even when I copy an existing schedule inside FBackup, and modify it, it doesn't show up in Windows TASK SCHEDULER (even though the original task that I copied is list in TASK SCHEDULER).
There may be a couple other issues I have forgotten about. I am getting very frustrated because the repeatability of the scheduler (whether internal or Windows) is not constant. Sometimes it works and somethimes it doesn't, and I am doing things the same way each time.
If I can get Fbackup to work consistantly and reliably I am considering buying Bacup4All, but at this point I am not sure if the program has issues, my computer O/S has issues or I am just an idiot.
If anyone can shed light on this scheduler issue - particularly the issue where Windows scheduler log shows the program starting and stopping at the same time, and the issue of the dialog box to set backup frequency, time, etc. not appearing, I would be apprceciative.

Thanx.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
Do you have the same problem if you use the Built-in scheduler or Windows Scheduler?