Why Not Backup from Network Drives

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
dryplace

Post by dryplace »

Your product seems to be very good (for the price).
To give access to more than one computer, it is normal to keep active databases on a network drive. This means that the latest version of the data is on the network drive. Why can't FBackUp backup from network drives?
Is this a temporary situation as I notice that some earlier replies suggested that network drives could be the information source?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
Network sources are not allowed in FBackup. You cannot back up from a network location.

We suggest you to install FBackup on each network computer.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Hi,

We have a Freecom Datatank (2TB) configured as a network server - folders being drive-mapped in Windows-XP on my PC. I can manually copy the folders from Freecom to the USB connected hard-drive (Seagate). I can't see why FBackup can't do the same, even if technically it's not performing a folder/files backup? This would make automating the copies a major timesaving process.

How to install FBackup, and then run, on a datatank server... any ideas?
Regards,

Chris A.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
Adding files and folders from network sources is not allowed in FBackup.

If you need that feature, we recommend you our commercial product: Backup4all.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

anthonyparker1981

Post by anthonyparker1981 »

Hi FBackUp,
I'm a massive fan of your software and recommend it endlessly to my clients and customers at my other work place aswell.
I do a lot of networking and often setup NAS style hard disks. Some clients like having their My Documents, My Pictures, etc configured to literally operate from the NAS drive, so they can work on any computer with the same file set.
I would absolutely love the ability to allow network locations to be a source location, so that we can use local hard drives as the backup location for the external NAS.
Obviously a NAS can not host FBackUp, so it essentially makes FBackUp a program that can not do what it does so well in any other circumstance.
I have two clients with open accounts at the minute that would both directly benefit from this ability straight away. One of which I am currently trying to source a good alternative for.
Do you think FBackUp will ever allow this feature to be present? Or even just for network mapped drives? The restriction has made your software a frustratingly impossible solution for some customers.
I say frustrating because it's such a good program in all other circumstances. Other backup programs can not do what FBackUp does!
I'm a massive fan,
Anthony Parker

anthonyparker1981

Post by anthonyparker1981 »

I've just noticed your Backup4All standard edition allows this functionality.
This is fantastic!!!
Now I'm wondering whether OEM versions of your software are available for me to resell for my customers?
This is exactly what my customers will be wanting! Thank you,
Anthony Parker

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
Please contact our sales department for details about how to become a reseller of Backup4all. The email is sales[at]backup4all[dot]com