Windows 7 Backup Problems

You can ask general questions, share opinions or advices about FBackup
msc

Post by msc »

I'm switching from XP to Win7 64 bit.
In XP, I could back up any folder with no problems.
In Win7, there is a large group of common folders such a My Docs, My Music, My Pics, My Vids, Downloads, etc. By default, they are all inside a folder named after the user (ie: Bob).
The only folders I can back up in this group is My Docs, and My Pics, presumably because they have plugins.
If I try to back up any other folder in this group, I get errors and warnings after the backup. Restore causes even more problems.
If I create my own folders inside of My Docs or My Pics, they backup fine.

Have you run into this before with Win7? If so, any suggestions?
Thanks...

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
What is the error message you receive?

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
It seems your backup destination is set to J: drive which does not exist.

Please open Backup Properties->Destination and change it to another available drive.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

msc

Post by msc »

The J drive actually does exist, and I am able to backup other files and folders, including Thunderbird, Firefox, My Documents and My Pictures if I use the plugins.
The errors I sent you occur when I tried to backup My Music or My Videos (no plugins of course)

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
In the log file you sent us, there was a message about the J: drive not found. Please make sure it is connected when you run the backup. What is the difference between this job and the other jobs that works when backing up to J: drive?

msc

Post by msc »

I use a 32GB flash drive for Destination and it is absolutely connected. I assigned it drive letter J.
The difference is the plug-ins.
I tried to backup My Documents and My Pictures without the plug-ins, and I got the same error messages. They backup fine with the plug-ins.
Do you have a Windows 7 PC? Try backing up My Music or My Videos and see what happens.
Thanks...

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
The plugins only define the source files to be backed up.

The problem in your case is the destination drive.

We don't have such problems here and your details are not relevant for this problem.
Please try to create a new backup job using My Music or My Videos plugin or manually add the sources in a new backup job. Do you have the same problem?

msc

Post by msc »

The screenshot of the folder I sent you contains My Documents, My Pictures, My Music, and My Videos, as well as 9 other folders.
I can only backup My Documents and My Pictures, using the plugins. No problem.
I cannot backup My Music or My Videos by simply adding those folders to the source list. This is what gives me the errors.
I was able to find the plugin for My Music, but it says that that file must be INSIDE the My Documents folder.
The odd thing is, I cannot move any of these 13 folders. They are somehow locked in place in the factory folder. Therefore, I cannot put My Music inside of My Documents to use the plugin.
I tried using the My Music plugin with the My Music Folder outside of My Documents, but the the My Music folder turns red in the source list. It will not back up.
I don't have these problems with XP, because I have all my folders for backup inside My Documents. But as I said, Windows 7 will not let me move these folders into My Documents.
Note: If I create a new folder and name it anything besides My Music or My Videos, I CAN put it inside My Documents, and it backs up fine.
I could not find a plugin for "My Videos".
I don't believe I have any problem with the Destination drive, J. It works fine on My Documents, My Pictures, Firefox, and Thunderbird (all using plugins).
I am new to Windows 7 and don't understand what is happening. I could really use your help. I love FBackup, and really want to continue using it.
The strangest thing is that these folders cannot be moved.
Thank you very much.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
You can create a new backup job and manually select the sources to be included: your music and video files from the location where you keep them on your computer.

msc

Post by msc »

That is what gives me the waring: "Could not create folder J:\"