About the Testing Operation after the backup is complete.

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
gabarra

About the Testing Operation after the backup is complete.

Post by gabarra »

Hello everyone, first time FBackup user here.

I started a full backup (without encryption) of my internal HDD to an external HDD (both WD Black, using USB 2). My files are 3.5TB and the backup took 37 hours to finish (Friday evening to Sunday morning).

Once the backup reached 100%, Fbackup started a “Testing” operation, going again through every single path of every single file. I was not warned about this operation.

As strange as it sounds, the Testing operation appears to be MUCH slower than backing up my files! It has now been 6 hours and I’m still at 4%! With this progress, the Testing operation will take 150 hours to finish (!!!), making the total backup experience an 8-day process!

Obviously I am going to cancel the Testing operation (something I’ve never seen in any other software), but I want to know how will that affect my backup. Ideally, I would also like to know what this Testing operation does.

Finally, I’d like to know if I can cancel it for future backups, just to see if Fbackup is worth keeping.

Thank you

Adrian (Softland)

Re: About the Testing Operation after the backup is complete.

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

If you cancel the backup during the testing phase, the backup won't be affected as the catalog is already saved when the test starts.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

anteprandial

Post by anteprandial »

gabarra wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:11 pm
Hello everyone, first time FBackup user here.

I started a full backup (without encryption) of my internal HDD to an external HDD (both WD Black, using USB 2). My files are 3.5TB and the backup took 37 hours to finish (Friday evening to Sunday morning).

Once the backup reached 100%, Fbackup started a “Testing” operation, going again through every single path of every single file. I was not warned about this operation.
geometry dash
As strange as it sounds, the Testing operation appears to be MUCH slower than backing up my files! It has now been 6 hours and I’m still at 4%! With this progress, the Testing operation will take 150 hours to finish (!!!), making the total backup experience an 8-day process!

Obviously I am going to cancel the Testing operation (something I’ve never seen in any other software), but I want to know how will that affect my backup. Ideally, I would also like to know what this Testing operation does.

Finally, I’d like to know if I can cancel it for future backups, just to see if Fbackup is worth keeping.

Thank you
After the backup is finished, the testing operation checks the accuracy and integrity of the backup files. It looks for mistakes or inconsistencies by comparing the source and destination files. As a necessary component of the backup procedure, the testing operation cannot be turned off. It makes sure there are no mistakes in the backup and that it can be successfully restored.

But if there are a lot or a large number of backup files, the testing process may take a while. The system's CPU utilization, hard drive performance, and USB connection speed can all have an impact on the testing process. There can be issues with the hardware or software if the testing process lags or hangs.

You might not be able to confirm that the backup files are of high quality if you terminate the Testing process. Additionally, you run the danger of having corrupted files in the backup or losing some data. As a result, unless you have no other choice, it is not advised to cancel the testing operation. Should you choose to terminate the Testing process, you ought to attempt a manual test of the backup files by opening or restoring them to a different location and observing any discrepancies or errors.

You might wish to try a few of the following ideas to expedite the Testing process:

• If your devices support it, use a faster USB connection, such as USB 3.0 or USB 3.1.

• If at all possible, switch to an external hard drive with a higher RPM or an SSD.

• End any other processes or applications, such as media players, browsers, and antivirus software, that might be consuming the CPU or hard drives.

• If available, update the Fbackup program to the most recent version.

• If necessary, update the firmware and drivers on your external and internal hard drives.

I hope this clarifies the function of Fbackup Testing and its significance.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

@anteprandial

You are correct. The test is an important step of the backup process.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html