Backup doesn't work if destination repository is deleted

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
pierrem

Post by pierrem »

I'm testing your program before recommending it to my customer but I found a few problems that I would like fixed. Fbackup doesn't take into account if the destination path has been cleared or if files and directories where deleted on the destination path. It should!
Here is the scenario. I have a customer with 10 computers/employees in a workgroup. He has a spare PC that he wants to use as a Backup PC. I would install Fbackup on the 10 PCs. Each PC would have a destination of \\backup-pc\BackupShare\%computername%\. The %computername% is the name of the source computer.
On this backup PC, I would also create Monthly directories (Jan, Feb, Mar, etc...). On the first of the month, I will copy the content of BackupShare to the monthly directory and afterwards wipeout the content of BackupShare to start a new month.
This will provide me with online monthly backups!
Am I wrong in my assumption that Fbackup doesn't take into account the destination to determine if and what it backs up.
Please advise.
Regards,

Pierre

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

FBackup creates a catalog file (fkc). This fkc contains details about the files and folders already backed up. So, it does not take into account the destination.
If you are using mirror, then file details in backup sources are compared with the details in catalog. If different then the file is overwritten in the backup destination and the catalog is updated.
If you are using full backup type, all files are backed up every time.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

pierrem

Post by pierrem »

I want to use the mirror option.
I'm requesting a program modification in order to test if the fkc file is missing on the destination path, then do a mirror copy of all files from the source to the destination.
Regards,

Pierre

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
The backup catalog is stored in two locations: in destination and in the local catalog folder. If the catalog in destination is missing, the local catalog will be used. This is how the application was designed and cannot be changed.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

pierrem

Post by pierrem »

ok
Using the mirror option, is there a way to fool the program to do a complete (based on my selected directories) backup. What if I delete the source catalog (fck)? Would that do it?
thanks

Pierre

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
If you delete both catalogs, the backup will start from the beginning.

This is the same as you would use "Clear backup" option from Backup Properties->Advanced.