Backup stuck at preparing shadowcopy

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
alescan

Backup stuck at preparing shadowcopy

Post by alescan »

Hello,
it's some days that one of mine backup jobs remain stuck at preparing shadow copy stage after creating the list of file and i have to cancel it manually. Another job on the same drive it's not failing doing shadow copy.
I already tried to reboot but it keeps doing it.

Thank you

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Backup stuck at preparing shadowcopy

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Please send us the last backup log for each of those two jobs, to info[at]fbackup[dot]com

JackNaylorPE

Post by JackNaylorPE »

1. Have the same issue, but ....
FBackup 8.9.352

Four (4) separate backup jobs for Volumes Q, R, S and T
Logged in and using an Administrator Account
Each job is a mirror backup of the above listed volumes
Q Runs at 20:00 hours (8:00 pm)
R Runs at 21:00 hours (9:00 pm)
S Runs at 22:00 hours (10:00 pm)
T Runs at 23:00 hours (11:00 pm)
If I start each job manually, they run fine
If they start via Schedule, they fail ... sometimes ; sometimes 1 or more will run and others will fail.

Q says:
[1/14/2021 8:00:11 PM] Could not create Volume Shadow Copy. Locked files will not be copied. The user needs administrative rights to use Volume Shadow Copy
[1/14/2021 9:41:47 PM] Warning: Error on pipe 1372 233 No process is on the other end of the pipe

R says:
[1/14/2021 9:00:40 PM] Could not create Volume Shadow Copy. Locked files will not be copied. The user needs administrative rights to use Volume Shadow Copy
[1/14/2021 9:41:47 PM] Warning: Error on pipe 1372 233 No process is on the other end of the pipe

S: Says:
[1/14/2021 10:00:05 PM] Files found to backup: 0 (0 KB)

T: Completed just fine but it was run manually just before 6 pm as were the others earlier that day. Q thru T all backed up manually
[1/14/2021 5:54:33 PM] Preparing shadow copy
[1/14/2021 5:54:47 PM] Shadow copy created for drives T:
Test finished in 0 second(s) at 1/14/2021 5:54:50 PM, 9 file(s) and 3 folder(s) tested, 0 error(s) and 0 warning(s) found
Total number of files added to backup: 9
Total number of folders added to backup: 3
Total size of files added to backup: 15,606.76 KB
Number of files excluded: 2
Number of folders excluded: 1
Next scheduled backup: 1/14/2021 11:00:00 PM
Backup completed in 1:03 minute(s) at 1/14/2021 5:54:50 PM with 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Its still almost an hour till the next scheduled backup...., I expect it will fail also. This behavior started with the last upgrade.

It would seem that the problem is evident in the log files:

When I run Fbackup Manually ....
Admin/BkPriv/RePriv : True/True/True

When Fbackup started from Windows Scheduler ....
Admin/BkPriv/RePriv : False/False/False

====================================
LATE EDIT:

The T backup just ran .....

Same lack of priviledge
Admin/BkPriv/RePriv : False/False/False

Same can't create shadow copy problem
[1/14/2021 11:00:52 PM] Preparing shadow copy
[1/14/2021 11:00:52 PM] Could not create Volume Shadow Copy. Locked files will not be copied. The user needs administrative rights to use Volume Shadow Copy

But now... 3 files and 1 folder were added, and tested. I don't get it.

Test finished in 0 second(s) at 1/14/2021 11:00:54 PM, 3 file(s) and 1 folder(s) tested, 0 error(s) and 0 warning(s) found
Total number of files added to backup: 3
Total number of folders added to backup: 1
Total size of files added to backup: 14.47 KB
======================================

a) Why is it that I am experiencing this problem, only since the upgrade to FBackup 8.9.352 ?
b) How do I fix it ?

I should also note that:

-While running from the scheduler, I am usually logged into the same user administrative account that FBackup runs under
-Once it starts and fails .... I can not cancel / abort the backup.

2. While I am asking ... over time the backups contain loads of deleted files and I like to flush those out every year or so. When the job is set to backup all files with various exceptions an the mirror is set to backup new files only, what determines which file is selected ?

a) Do I just delete all the files in the backup job folder E:\Q-Backup
b) Or must a delete the *.fkc file also and have to recreate the job from scratch (trying to avoid.)

Please be advised that, after writing this post, I noticed the answer said to send an email ... was going to delete this but then thought the info contained may help another user.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

1. For the Shadow Copy problem, please open Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Task Scheduler
Edit the scheduled task and set it to run with highest privileges.

2. In such a case, please open Backup Properties->Advanced.
Select "Run program or action" in the "Run action before backup" section. The <Clear backup> action will be executed when you'll run the backup next time.
Run the backup and then uncheck that option.