Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
kow

Backup to network shared folder without administrator right

Post by kow »

FBackup version 5.0
Volume Shadow Copy service = Started
O/S : Windows XP with SP3 joined Windows server 2003 domain
Backup Type = Mirror Backup
Scheduled backup during working hour or lunch hours, while Microsoft Outlook still open.
Source = Backup selected only the .pst file of Microsoft Outlook 2007 and it is on NTFS partition
Destination type: Local hard drive
Destination Drive: H: (it is a mapped network shared folder)
And the user has the permission to read & write on the drive.

FBackup Error log = Source error (code 33). The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file. (C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\Outlook Files\Outlook.pst)

I have tested 2 different scenario/situations to check why the FBackup the output file (the .pst file on network drive) with ZERO file size.

Scenario A --- User1 do not has local administrator right, just Domain Users right. User1 can read & write on the destination network shared. However, FBackup the output file (on network drive) with ZERO file size.

Scenario B --- User1 is granted with local administrator right. And this time, the FBackup successfully without warning and the output file (on network drive) is not zero file size.

We have company security requirement, that we cannot allow to grant any users (including User1) with local administrators right. How can I workaround or any alternative way to enable FBackup to be able to backup successfully with the file size is not showing zero file size.

Appreciate if any of you can assist us on this matter. Thank you very much.

kow

Re: Backup to network shared folder without administrator right

Post by kow »

I have referred the PDF guide from the below link, but we still experiencing the same issue. Unless the user has granted local administrator rights, otherwise the FBackup cannot successfully backup any opened file to any network shares.

http://www.backup4all.com/download/pdf/ ... ervice.pdf

We hope FBackup can be re-program/develop and to fix this issue in the future release version. Please update me if there is any alternative or workaround solution.
Thank you.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Backup to network shared folder without administrator right

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

In order to back up open files, you must use an administrator account.
If you cannot use an administrator account, you must close Outlook during the backup.