Backup to USB drive incorrectly changes from one drive to another though USB_SN

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
AnnMarieE

Post by AnnMarieE »

I have a strange issue and I thought I had gotten to the bottom of it last week but it doesn't seem to be the case and I need some help.
We have 2 backups that happen. One for a set of directories on Mon, Tue, Wed to one USB backup (Drive H) and the same set of files which happens on Thurs, Fri, Sat to another USB drive (Drive G).
The summary in my backup which is supposed to be saving the data to Drive H reads:
General:

Name: Main H - No Builds

Group: My Backup Jobs

Description:

Backup to H:\Backup\
This backup process happens weekly every Mon/Tue/Wed @ 20:00

Ini file: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.ALCHEMYSOFTWARE\Application Data\Softland\FBackup 4\IniFiles\Main H - No Builds.ini
Destination:

Destination type: External hard drive

Drive: G:

Folder: G:\Backup\

Catalog: G:\Backup\

Lock the destination to this external hard drive: Yes

Enable disk spanning: No
Source(s):

D:\Company

D:\Support

~ and many more folder ~
The problem is that even though I have set this backup to save to H, it always seems to default to G.

I thought the problem was this info in the INI file:
[DESTINATION]

~

~

USB_PATH=G:\Backup\

USB_SN=1750376287

USE_USB_SN=yes

REM_SN=0

USE_REM_SN=no
It explicity says G in this INI file when I want to use H.
However I seem to be going around in circles and even though I change the path in the UI or in the INI file back to H:\ and I also set the USB_SN= to 0 and USE_USB_SN to no, it is not the behaviour which is performed when my backup actually runs.
2 weeks ago I upgraded our software from 4.5 Build 241 to this build 4.8 Build 286 and used the old INI files (as I hoped I would not have to recreate them).
Is there something you can see which would help me resolve the issue? Can I change the INI file manually like this? Is there another setting I also need to be modifing to make my Drive change permenant?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
Are the external drives connected using an USB hub or directly to the USB ports of the computer?

Were the external drives bought together in the same time? They could have the same volume ID and you need to format one of them to get a new ID.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

AnnMarieE

Post by AnnMarieE »

They are connected directly through a USB ports and not through a hub.

And yes they would have all been bought at the same time.
I will investigate the Volume ID issue. Thanks.