Can back-up because "the media is write protected"?

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
g0g0

Can back-up because "the media is write protected"?

Post by g0g0 »

10-21-13

Can anyone help me with what I suspect is a common problem? When I try to execute a backup, the process is aborted with an error message appearing saying the reason for aborting the process is that "...the media is write protected."

Can anyone tell me how to deal with this problem?

If it's of any value, I tried to upload the log file for the latest occurrence of this problem. I then received a message from this web site that the file cannot be uploaded because it is too large (> 2mB).

Thanks so much.

George

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Can back-up because "the media is write protected"?

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

What is the destination drive type you want to use?
Can you write files on that drive using Windows Explorer?

g0g0

Post by g0g0 »

11-1-13

Softland:

Thanks for your reply of 10-23-13; I was not in a position to follow up until today.

I'm not sure what you mean by either of your questions:

1. The destination drive "type"?-- I typically back up either to a 465 gB external hard drive sitting on my desk top next to my desktop computer, or to a portable drive, about 100 gB, I carry back and forth between my office and home. Is there something more specific about the drive "type" you need to know?

2. Can I write files on the destination drive using Explorer?-- I sure think I can-- I've many times downloaded files from the internet to both of the drives I mention. I've cut articles or files from the internet and pasted them to either of these drives.

Should I be looking at some specific item under "Properties" or some such descriptor for each drive to tell me whether the drive itself is "write protected"? I know that when I use the System 7 back-up utility to back-up to my desktop external hard drive, I need to use a protocol to "undo write-protection" and when I do so the software sends me a message that the write protection has been undone. But I don't know how to use that utility (it's available from "Diskpart") in combination with your back-up software.

ONE LAST COMMENT, UNRELATED: ARE YOU FOLKS AWARE THAT, WHEN I TYPE A MESSAGE LIKE THIS TO YOU, AND ASK TO SEE A PREVIEW OF IT BEFORE I SEND IT TO YOU, HITTING THE "PREVIEW BUTTON" ERASES THE ENTIRE MESSAGE-- IT'S GONE WITHOUT A TRACE AND ONE MUST RE-TYPE IT.

Thanks.

George

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Are you using a different backup job for each of the destination drives you mentioned?
Please try to open Backup Properties->Destination and make sure the proper destination drive is selected. After that run again the backup. Do you still have the problem?

g0g0

Post by g0g0 »

11-4-13

Softland:

Yes, I still have the same problem despite carefully choosing my external hard drive (it's labeled drive "P" in my system) as the destination drive. I will try to attach a snip-image of my screen at the moment when the error message comes up (I'm not sure this site will accept the image-- I've had bad luck trying to place attachments before-- now I'm seeing the message that you "Could not upload attachment to ./files/5066_e9a90a1777c9e93055017d6e6a798857"

What next?

Thanks.

g0g0

g0g0

Post by g0g0 »

11-4-13

Softland:

Here again I tried to attach an image of the error message using the accessory Microsoft Paint-- again it told me I could not upload the attachment.

g0g0

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Send me the image by email to info[at]fbackup[dot]com