Can't perform online outlook backup

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
bowmore21

Post by bowmore21 »

Hi.
When trying to make a backup of my .PST-file when outlook is running It errors out with either an empty backup zip-file (full) or with "access error - the file is in use by another program" (mirror). If I close outlook, the backup runs like a charm.

I'm using Windows Vista Bussiness, PST-file on local NTFS-formatted harddrive and as far as I can se, the VSS is running on my machine.
regards / Mikael (Sweden)

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
As you probably know, the backup open files feature has some limitations.

It works:

- only on Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server or Windows Vista

- only for users with administrator access rights to copy open files

- only on local hard drives

- only on NTFS formatted partitions

- only if the VSS (Volume Shadow Service) is running and it is properly configured
If all the above conditions are met, please send us the log file for the last backup job finished with errors at: info at fbackup dot com.

The last backup log file can be found if you go to View->Job Logs->Last Backup Log.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

shell_shephard

Post by shell_shephard »

OK. These posts are old. What's the status with backing up open Outlook 2003 with Windows 7? I thought, per the help screens, that I could set up a program to run before the backup and then reopen Outlook when it's done, but those options don't seem to be available either (and should be taken out of the help file?).

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
Backing up open files is also possible under Windows 7 too.

Please make sure you have the latest version of FBackup 4.6

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html