Destination error (code 5). Access is denied.

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
itm

Destination error (code 5). Access is denied.

Post by itm »

I'm getting this every time I run any of my backup jobs, for most of the files that need to be backed up. I can manually copy those files from source to destination using Windows File Explorer without any problems.
The source is a local hard drive, destination is an SMB share on the LAN. Here is an example of one of the errors:

Code: Select all

[29/08/2020 18:24:02] Warning: Skipping file D:\Mydocs\DYMO Label\Labels\Layouts\Recent Layouts\Address.label
   Destination error (code 5). Access is denied. (\\HP-MICROSERVER\USB4Tb\Mydocs\DYMO Label\Labels\Layouts\Recent Layouts\Address.label). \\HP-MICROSERVER\USB4Tb\Mydocs\DYMO Label\Labels\Layouts\Recent Layouts\Address.label.
I'm running Fbackup v8.8 build 335 on Windows 10.
Any ideas for diagnosing/fixing this?

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Destination error (code 5). Access is denied.

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

1. Is the backup scheduled? If yes, do you have the same problem if you manually run the backup?
2. Do you have the same problem if you run FBackup as administrator?

itm

Post by itm »

Yes the backup is scheduled, and yes I get the same problem if I run the job manually. I also get the same problem if I run FBackup as an administrator (manually).

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please try to map the network drive and use the mapped drive as backup destination, or try to manually access the network share in File Explorer, before running the backup.
Do you have the same problem?

itm

Post by itm »

I do have the share mapped to a drive letter, but the dropdown list for destination when I select "Local Disk" only shows genuinely local devices, and I am unable to enter a drive letter anywhere if I select "Network" as the destination.
???

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

You need to select "Network drives" option in the New Backup Wizard.

In Backup Properties->Destination, mapped drives can be found under "Local Disks" drop down list.

itm

Post by itm »

Those instructions don't seem to be consistent with the UI that I am seeing. If I select the "Network" option in the New Backup Wizard I am presented with 3 fields:
-Folder (a textbox), with a Browse button beside it. If I click the Browse button it only shows network destinations (not drive letters)
-User
-Password

I am unable to enter a drive letter (e.g. Y:) in the Folder textbox - it will not accept colons.

I don't see a "Local Disks" drop down list anywhere.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please send us a screenshot with the mapped drive as it appears on My PC, to info[at]fbackup[dot]com

katherinerose6

Post by katherinerose6 »

Adrian (Softland) wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:32 am
Hi,www.mobilefoundationrepair.net

Please send us a screenshot with the mapped drive as it appears on My PC, to info[at]fbackup[dot]com
Is the email still active?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Yes, you can send us an email if you have questions about FBackup.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html