Destination file different size than stored in catalog

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
HankR

Destination file different size than stored in catalog

Post by HankR »

FBackup program keeps reporting 1 Warning that file in destination is different than the size stored in catalog. I've tried several backups and always get this 1 warning for the same file:

[10/10/2014 7:55:38 PM] Warning: Size of file "E:\ABS Win2008 Backups\Data\wfx32\Aspose.PDF.dll" in destination (9157632) is different than the size stored in catalog (20609368)

I checked the Properties on the backup file and Windows reports the following for this Aspose.PDF.dll file: Size On Backup Disk 8.73 MB (9,158,656 bytes) the source file is 20,609,368 bytes. If I use Windows Explorer to copy the same source file to the same destination external hard drive folder the file sizes match at 20,609,368 bytes.

I am performing a scheduled Mirror type backup from a Windows Server 2008 to an external USB hard drive with Test after backup. Here is some info from the FBackup log:

[10/10/2014 7:00:08 PM] FBackup 5.1.596
[10/10/2014 7:00:08 PM] C:\Program Files (x86)\Softland\FBackup 5\bBackup.exe /R {A86188E8-C120-4D2A-B1ED-70ADB7703789} -PRIORITY 2 -FNT
[10/10/2014 7:00:08 PM] Search for "Warning: " and "Error: " to locate warnings and errors in this log file
[10/10/2014 7:00:08 PM] Operating system: Windows Server 2008 R2 Server 4.0 Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Processor[0] : AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 4450e
Processor[1] : AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 4450e
Physical memory (free/total) : 2966 MB/3966 MB
Admin/BkPriv/RePriv : True/False/False
IsWOW64 : True
Locale : English (United States)

FBackup program works well except for this repeated warning on this 1 file out of thousands that are backed up. Appreciate your help with correcting this warning, thanks.

HankR

Re: Destination file different size than stored in catalog

Post by HankR »

I initially had a problem logging in to this forum so before I was able to post here I received an email from you which included the following about the 1 backup warning that I am getting:

Email from Softland:
All files should be backed up with no problems.
Is there something special with that file? Was it in use during the backup?

To keep it in this forum topic I am responding here to your email:
There doesn't appear to be something special about this file and the read/write privileges are the same as other backup files. This file was not in use during the backups and as I noted in my initial post, when I use Windows Explorer to make a copy of this file from the same source location to the same destination location the file sizes are the same. Thanks for working towards resolving this repeated backup warning.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Was the backup executed under the same user account?

HankR

Post by HankR »

These scheduled mirror type backups were executed as Administrator after regular business hours with all users logged off. What could cause this repeated warning that only this 1 file size did not match out of the thousands of files that are backed up yet this file size will match when copied with Windows Explorer?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please send us multiple logs for this problem, so we can look closely and see what the problem is. Send them to info[at]fbackup[dot]com

hbradlow

Post by hbradlow »

Was this problem ever resolved? I am having the same problem on certain files now.
Could it be because the folder path is too long?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

There is no problem in FBackup to be fixed as we ask Windows for the size of the files.
If the size is different, it might be the file is in use and it was modified during the backup execution.

In such a case, it is recommended to run again the backup as the file will be backed up again with its new size.