DRM getting in the way of the legitimate user yet again

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
flarn2006

DRM getting in the way of the legitimate user yet again

Post by flarn2006 »

First of all, why does FBackup, or at least the free version, even have DRM? It's not like somebody is going to pirate something that's free to start with. (How is that even possible?) But anyway, my issue is that occasionally FBackup will refuse to run on my computer, saying that a "monitor" program has been detected. Whenever this happens it doesn't work again until I reboot. It says "Themida" in the title bar of this "error" box, which I hadn't heard of, but Google tells me it's some kind of DRM that's used to make it harder to pirate software. More specifically, to make it harder to reverse engineer the software. Now I sometimes reverse engineer software myself, but I haven't had any reason to peek inside FBackup. Ironically, this Themida crap might actually give me a reason to, simply to make sure the software does what it's supposed to! Anyway, I believe the "monitor" software it's referring to is Cheat Engine, or at least its kernel level component DBK64. Not positive though. But yeah, Cheat Engine is one program I use for reverse engineering software, as it allows me to not only step through code as it runs, but also search for and edit values in memory very easily. And just because the developers of FBackup are paranoid that I might figure out how their software works or something doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to use those types of tools on other software. Again, if the developers don't give me a solution, I'll likely try and find one myself, using the very techniques Themida is trying to prevent. I'd rather not have to do that though. So can you (the developers) Please send me a version without this issue so I don't need to worry about my backup not running? Thank you.

(I apologize for the tone of this message; this is just very aggravating as there's no technical reason the program isn't able to run.)

Adrian (Softland)

Re: DRM getting in the way of the legitimate user yet again

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

The Themida component is not developed by us, it is used in FBackup for protection.
At this moment there is no way to avoid that.

flarn2006

Post by flarn2006 »

You could always release a version that doesn't use Themida. What are you trying to protect it from anyway? Obviously not piracy, because it's free.

flarn2006

Post by flarn2006 »

I'm bumping this thread, as I still don't have a solution. Keep in mind if I find a way to remove Themida on my own, I will not hesitate to publish it, which may have the side-effect of making it easier to do whatever it is you don't want people doing. I don't mean that as a threat; I simply would want to allow other people to benefit from my solution if I find one.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

We use Themida to protect our code.

flarn2006

Post by flarn2006 »

Yes, I'm aware of that, and it's causing me problems. I'd like a solution please.

flarn2006

Post by flarn2006 »

Bumping again, as Softland still hasn't solved my problem.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

There won't be a new FBackup release without Themida. You need to remove the monitoring program from memory in order to use FBackup.

flarn2006

Post by flarn2006 »

How am I supposed to remove the "monitor program" when I don't even know what program it's referring to? I've figured out that it's most likely not Cheat Engine as I mentioned before, as it's since worked with that program running.

If you won't give me a version without Themida, then if the problem happens again, I guess I'll have no choice but to do exactly what Themida is designed to prevent me from doing. That's really the only way I can think of to make sure my backup always runs. On the bright side, maybe then you will release a version without Themida--it won't serve you much of a purpose if it becomes well-known how to remove it.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi, can you please do a test by closing all applications one by one and trying to open FBackup to see at least what is the app it has a conflict with? If that app doesn't have anything to do with monitoring we'll reach out to themida and see how to fix this.

We cannot remove Themida because, even if FBackup is free, we need to protect our code.

Thank you for understanding.