Duplicate files and folders after renaming

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
johnlynch51

Duplicate files and folders after renaming

Post by johnlynch51 »

Hi
I am using FBackup5 to create an unencrypted mirror backup on a weekly basis.
I have just realised that if I have renamed a file or folder since the last back up, a whole new copy of that file or folder is created and sits alongside the previous version instead of replacing it. This has obviously been going on since I started so I now have a huge amount of such duplication in the backup and cannot possibly remember which would be the correct versions of my work to go back to if I needed.
Am I missing something, or is this simply a feature of the software? Is there any setting I need to adjust so that Fbackup5 simply renames or replaces the previous version during the backup process instead of creating anew?
Otherwise the only way forward I see is to wipe my existing back up and start afresh, and do that on a regular basis.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
JL

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Duplicate files and folders after renaming

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

What is the backup type you use?
If you use the Mirror backup type, please open Backup Properties->Mirror.
Select the "Remove excluded or deleted files from backup" option. This way, the old file names will be deleted while the new ones will be backed up.

saeys

Post by saeys »

Hey, reviving this old question:

I have the exact same problem. I'm using unencrypted mirror backup. When a backup job is run and there is a recently renamed folder, a new copy of that folder (or file?) is created on the destination path, alongside with the folder that has the old name. So when the backup is completed there are two folders with the same content (and all I did was to rename the folder). In that case it seems like FBackup treats renamed folders as completely new folders to backup. FBackup doesn't remove the folder with the old name with the "Remove excluded or deleted files from backup" option selected, either.

I love this application because it is simple yet capable, but if I continue doing regularly backups like this, my destination drive will be filled with a lot of duplicade folders. Just as the original post writer I wonder if I have missed something. :?:

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

If you rename a source folder, it will be considered a new folder and it will be backed up with the new name.
The old folder should be removed from the backup destination if the "Remove excluded or deleted files from backup" option is selected and there is at least one new or modified file to be backed up.
If you have such a problem, please send us the last backup log and the .fkc catalog file to info[at]fbackup[dot]com.
Also let us know the name and path of the old folder which should be removed from destination.
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html