Error backing up .ost file

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
pgreening

Error backing up .ost file

Post by pgreening »

I run Outlook 2010 with several .pst files for personal accounts and an .ost file for work email using Outlook 365. FBankup version 5 build 325 does shadow copies but keeps giving a warning and skipping the .ost file during mirror backups (it does back up the .pst files). It gives a warning that the .ost file is in use by another process. This happens whether Outlook is running or not. In the Task Scheduler I have my backup jobs set with highest priority. Can Fbackup be made to backup my .ost file? Or do I need to start looking for another backup program?

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Error backing up .ost file

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

The .ost file cannot be backed up and you don't need it backed up. It is recreated automatically and it is synch with the online account. Even if you copy it, when you put it back, Outlook will ignore it and create another one.

racassel

Post by racassel »

There are several cases where the previous .ost can be reattached and the scanpst repair file is run against it to repair.
Yes, the OST is recreated, but... If you have a 10GB or larger OST, this can take a long time to download, and Microsoft search indexer has to index this massive file, often using high CPU for several days.
Also, in the event of a server crash, it may become necessary to use a third party utility to convert the OST to a PST when the Exchange server is no longer available. Microsoft Shadow copy appears to snap the OST's just fine, and restore them using the built in Microsoft server backup. Something must be different with the way Fbackup is creating / accessing the snaps. Maybe the call is not flushing memory buffers to disk, that could be why the file appears to have been backed up in the logs, but the restored ost file is zero bytes.

vagner32

Post by vagner32 »

Então é meio que obrigatório deixar o ost sempre limpo. Devia, ou deve ter algum macete pra usar o mesmo ost.

Fica meio sem sentido fazer o backup desse jeito

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Please see this post for the same subject: http://www.fbackup.com/forum/trial-soft ... t8348.html

vagner32

Post by vagner32 »

Obrigado