FB5 vs FB4: creating files list slow

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
MiG

FB5 vs FB4: creating files list slow

Post by MiG »

For FB4 you at some point introduced an update which drastically sped up the directory scanning process, however in FB5 it seems to be performed at the old, relatively slow speed (especially for jobs with lots of small files). Would it be possible to reintroduce this to FB5?

Adrian (Softland)

Re: FB5 vs FB4: creating files list slow

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Can you send me the last backup log for a slow backup execution? Please send it to info[at]fbackup[dot]com

MiG

Post by MiG »

Sadly it appears that some backup jobs don't have logs, including my largest ones.

If no large changes come up that need backing up I'll try a test event, but as these are quite taxing on my CPU and I need it most of the week, it might take a while. Hopefully someone else with the same issue will be able to send you some logs in the mean time.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

We will increase the limit of the log folder.

MiG

Post by MiG »

Could you make this a user setting (i.e. with the option to set a maximum dir size or completely disable log deletion)? I don't mind manually cycling my logs, in fact I prefer it :)

MiG

Post by MiG »

Okay... turns out Fbackup even deletes files it didn't create itself in the first place. Zipped the logs, only to find my 7z file was deleted along with the original log files :|

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Was the 7zip file in the same FBackup's log folder?

MiG

Post by MiG »

Yes, but the expected behaviour tends to be that an app only touches files it created itself (i.e. in this case log files). Bit unusual to have it do general spring cleaning and delete other files as well.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

FBackup creates its own log folder. The limit is set per folder.
It is not recommended to put your own files there as they will be deleted when the limit is applied.

jeobenauer

Post by jeobenauer »

I agree that when it is creating the file list it is much slower than version 4. I am going to do a comparison tests, V4 vs V5, on the same full backup. I will send the log files in afterwards.

I am running build 192. Build 182 would not complete without the IPC issue. I am assuming that he IPC issue is resolved in build 192 and the backup will complete without error. I also hope that the log file does not disappear after the backup as it has done in the past.