FBackup 5 hangs on "Duplicate Backup"

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
gump

FBackup 5 hangs on "Duplicate Backup"

Post by gump »

Using :
FBackup 5.0, build 192
Windows 7, 64-bit

For my purposes I like to create a 'new' backup job (with a new name and files/folders backed up) every 2 weeks. This new job is not completely 'new', rather it is based on a previous Backup Job.
Here are the steps I do :

1. start up FBackup 5
2. click on the previous successful job (say "Backup Job 10 - 20130908")
3. right-click and select "Duplicate Backup"
4. a new backup is created = "Backup Job 10 - 20130908 - Copy"
5. as I want a new name and files to backup, I click on the new backup job; all is good.
6. right-click to "Properties"

At this point, everything freezes in the application GUI and I get the laptop beep of an error has occurred. There is nothing I can do to stop/abort/continue the program and I have go into Process Explorer and kill the FBackup.exe process/thread. The bTray.exe and bService.exe processes continue, as it appears they are fine.

I think the thread that is hanging is "ntoskml.exe!KeWaitForMultipleObjects+0xc0a" (from the stack), but I'm not sure.

Note that I can go into FBackup 4 and do the same task with no issue.

There is nothing unusual about the backup job. Backing up straight folders and files from my laptop to an external HD.

I previously had FBackup 182(?), but I just installed the new build 192 version on top of that one.

I appreciate that this is a free program and I thank you for that. However, I can't use FBackup 5 in its present condition.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: FBackup 5 hangs on "Duplicate Backup"

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Can you send me the .fkc file for the job you duplicated?
To find it, go to Jobs tab and press "Open Log Folder". An explorer window will appear. Go up one level and you can find the Catalogs folder. Please send me that file to info[at]fbackup[dot]com

gump

Post by gump »

Hi,

As requested I have sent the .fkc file to you.
Note that it is relatively large, ~10Mb in size.

Thanks for taking the time to review this bug. I can imagine that supporting a free product is painful :)

Good luck,
Eric

gump

Post by gump »

Hi,

I created a 2nd backup job and copied over the 'sources' that were targetted.
I then did the same "Duplicate Backup" and edit "Properties" on the new duplicated backup.
It works fine now. I'll create all new backup jobs in FBackup 5 and work from there.

So.... no bug? As a software engineer with years of testing application software, this makes no sense, but I'm moving on!
You can ignore this bug.

Sorry for your time.