FBackup 6.0 file verification extremely slow

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
Culedood

FBackup 6.0 file verification extremely slow

Post by Culedood »

Hi

I upgraded to FBackup 6.0 from 5.5. The jobs pulled across without issue, but now when I run a backup of our 250 000 files it takes 30 minutes to verify the files instead of 2 or 3 minutes - as it was on v 5.5.

Any pointers on how to resolve that?

I have an i5 3.2GHz with 8GB Ram...so, I don't think it's the machine.

alescan

Re: FBackup 6.0 file verification extremely slow

Post by alescan »

Same issue here,
creation of the file list that changed in 6.0 is very slow, in ten minutes it controlled 30.000 files.
5.5 in ten minutes was arleady copying the files.

Thank you

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Please send us the .fkc catalog file and the last backup log to info[at]fbackup[dot]com, to see what the problem is.

peterik

Post by peterik »

Same problem here. I went and tried manually updating to the latest version (6.0.90..... or something) and still painfully slow. I have ~1,125,000 files to take care of... Worse than watching paint dry.

And there is no way I am sending my .fkc file as it is currently sitting at 245MB... that's 245...

So i've unistalled version 6 and about to run the "old one" -v5.5, which works perfectly fine. 30 mins and I'm done... whereas in v6 I barely had 10-15% read in the same time...

Why don't these things get a good testing before they release them?

alescan

Post by alescan »

Mine .fkc is is 39MB and is big for email.
I taked a look to the log file and it seems that when it have to change directory it takes some time to do. I'll send you via mail.

SamInside

Post by SamInside »

Same problem here.
Softland wrote:Please send us the .fkc catalog file and the last backup log to info[at]fbackup[dot]com, to see what the problem is.
Just do a test yourself: version 6 obviously introduced some kind of bug in the "creating files list" process. The process is now something like 100 times slower compared to previous versions. Hope this will be fixed in the next update.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

I just made a new backup of 300,000 files with FBackup 5 and FBackup 6. They finished in the same time.
Please send us to info[at]fbackup[dot]com the backup logs from both version 5 and 6 to compare them.

alescan

Post by alescan »

I tried to move the destination of the backup, in that way FBackup delete the catalog. Then i reset the destination where it was and staretd the job. Result:
Now it's using usn journal so it very much faster but looking at the log it's also deleting files that i don't removed from source in job properties and they actually exist.

I know that could be a problem of USN, so, do you know anything about this or there's a way to force the program to check every files without using usn?

Thanks

JackHaagen

Post by JackHaagen »

Hi Compared to 5.5 last version the new 6 versie build 91 has an very slow verification (under W10), and the whole backup process is very slow. Also deleted files are not deleted in de Backup although it ws selected. closing the backup at the end is also very slow. :(

Also running a new backup an hour after the first one, doesn't copy the changed files, there is a verification but nothing happens after that en the BU process is closed. :(

So I guess the only alternative that is left is going back to the last build of version 5.5

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Using USN journal seems to be the difference which causes this issue.
We will make it optional.
For larger backups (over 20,000 files) it is much faster, but if you have a lot of changes on the hard drive outside the backup sources it could affect the backup speed.