Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
witloof

FBackup 8 keeps reinstalling

Post by witloof »

Each time I run FBackup 8 it first starts to re-install itself:
FBackup8.jpg
FBackup8.jpg (45.92 KiB) Viewed 9669 times
It even adds an icon on the desktop each time :(

I tried doing a clean reinstall (uninstalling, deleting leftover folders and registry entries, reinstalling) but the problem remains. This is has been happening for quite some time, probably since last year. Previous versions of this software didn't have this problem. How do I fix this once and for all?

Adrian (Softland)

Re: FBackup 8 keeps reinstalling

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

Did you uninstalled FBackup from Control Panel? or you used some application to uninstall it.

witloof

Post by witloof »

Adrian (Softland) wrote: Did you uninstalled FBackup from Control Panel?
Yes.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Were you able to install the latest version of FBackup?
If not, we can connect to your computer using TeamViewer.
Please send us an email to info[at]fbackup[dot]com, to discuss when we can connect.

witloof

Post by witloof »

FBackup is installed, and I'm able to use it to back up my data to an external drive. It's just that when I want to start it, it first starts by reinstalling itself (the screenshot in my first post above). Is there a 64-bit version of FBackup? It looks like I'm running a 32-bit version, maybe that's the problem.

Here are a couple more screenshots, from the list of windows applications and the task manager:
FB8 application.jpg
FB8 application.jpg (10.03 KiB) Viewed 9640 times
FB8 task manager.jpg
FB8 task manager.jpg (23.35 KiB) Viewed 9640 times

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

We don't have a 64-bit version of FBackup.
Did you used the .msi setup to install FBackup? or you used the .exe setup file.

witloof

Post by witloof »

Adrian (Softland) wrote: Did you used the .msi setup to install FBackup? or you used the .exe setup file.
Just a regular install after downloading the .exe file from the official site.

I have uninstalled again and will re-install later to see if there's any improvement.

witloof

Post by witloof »

Ok, so I did a complete re-install and the problem seems to be resolved. After uninstalling I searched for Softland leftover files and found 2 files in the AppData folder. I don't remember what was the extension of those files, except that they were marked Softland and FBackup8, but I deleted them. Then I re-installed FBackup and now it doesn't re-install itself at each launch. My guess is that whatever those 2 files were, they were preventing FBackup to reinstall itself properly, because that was the only thing different that I did than in my previous attemps at uninstalling/reinstalling.

witloof

Post by witloof »

I'm reopening this because the problem has returned. It is very annoying. I'm going to have to reinstall again to try to fix it. I can't be the only person on Windows 10 x64 experiencing this?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Please try to uninstall FBackup from Control Panel, restart the computer and install it again using the full setup from our website.
If you still have the problem, please try to install it using the .msi setup.
Let us know if the problem still exists after that.