FBackup deletes my backup when I try to run it while my drive is under a different letter

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
ElPoonPoon

FBackup deletes my backup when I try to run it while my drive is under a different letter

Post by ElPoonPoon »

As I'm sure a lot of people do, I run my backup onto an external drive that is often not connected because I don't want it wearing out for no reason. Sometimes when I plug it in; windows loads it under a different drive letter. When I tried to run the backup with the drive under a different letter it obviously fails, but the shocking part is when I changed the drive letter to the one FBackup is expecting and run the backup again, FBackup deletes the entire backup and starts again from scratch without even prompting me.

This behaviour is absolutely insane for a program that is supposed to give people peace of mind over their data. There are also certain things that were only stored on my backup drive due to space restrictions, so now I'm forced to use expensive data recovery software to dig into the deleted files and hopefully recover the files that are no longer on the drives I was backing up. Was there some option or checkbox that I accidentally configured wrong for FBackup to behave in such a ridiculous way or is that actually how the software is intended to function because I'm simply baffled that a backing up program would behave like this under any circumstance.

Adrian (Softland)

Re: FBackup deletes my backup when I try to run it while my drive is under a different letter

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

If the backup destination drive is not found, the backup is not executed.
FBackup does not delete the backups in destination for no reason.

In order to find what happened, please send us all the backup logs for that job and also the .fkc catalog file from destination, to info[at]fbackup[dot]com
Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html