File already Exist err msg

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
Hustling Hare

Post by Hustling Hare »

I've been getting this error at the end of my log file:

[2/7/2011 2:00:41 AM] Preparing shadow copy

[2/7/2011 2:01:04 AM] Shadow copy created.

[2/7/2011 2:01:13 AM] Close catalog file "C:\Users\Stewart\AppData\Roaming\Softland\FBackup 4\fkcFiles\Incr Backup.fkc"

[2/7/2011 2:01:13 AM] Error: Backup aborted. Reason:

Cannot create a file when that file already exists

Backup aborted at 2/7/2011 2:01:14 AM with 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
What file ist it referring to? Did the backup succeed?
I'm running on a W7-64 platform doing a shadow backup to an external USB drive on another W7-64 computer. I think the read/write permissions on the external drive are wide open...but I could be wrong, I haven't managed to figure out Windows file security settings completely.

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
If the backup aborted, that means it is not successful.

Please restart the computer and run again the backup. Do you have the same problem?

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Hustling Hare

Post by Hustling Hare »

Rebooted both the machine running the backup and the destination machine with the target disk attached. Got the same result, same error message.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
Do you have the problem if you use an administrator account?

Can you manually rename that file?

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Hustling Hare

Post by Hustling Hare »

I am running as an administrator. I got a good backup by going to the destination disk, creating a new folder into which to put the B/U, and it worked. I'll see what happens tonight when it runs again with the same setting.

Hustling Hare

Post by Hustling Hare »

The second time it ran with the same settings as I ran with to get the good back up cited in my previous post I got the same error and no back up:

Preparing shadow copy

[2/11/2011 2:01:18 AM] Shadow copy created.

[2/11/2011 2:01:28 AM] Close catalog file "C:\Users\Stewart\AppData\Roaming\Softland\FBackup 4\fkcFiles\Incr Backup.fkc"

[2/11/2011 2:01:28 AM] Error: Backup aborted. Reason:

Cannot create a file when that file already exists

Backup aborted at 2/11/2011 2:01:29 AM with 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

I looked in fkcFiles and saw Incr Backup.fkc there for last night so that isn't the file to which it's referring. Over on \\server\G-Backup\Server-backup1 where the setup was directing the back up target, I find a directory structure of the disk and two folders along with their sub-folders specified to be backed up. There are files in some of the sub-folders as would be expected probably from the run the night before last. Security for the lowest level shows that I and my home group have complete access permissions. I notice in the general tab of properties that the "Read Only" button is on, but I don't know how to click that off for all folders in the image back up area, there are a lot of folders and I don't think I should have to do so. Especially since the first back up worked that created the folder and the file in each.
HELP!!

Adrian (Softland)

hi,
It seems you do not have the permission to overwrite files. You can create them but no overwrite them. Please fix the permission issue.