Floppy drive purrs

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
Belbear

Post by Belbear »

I have installed FBackup 4.4 and since then my floppy drive (yes I still have one) lights up continuously and purrs every 4 seconds.

Besides the (very annoying!) noise, this drive is not and will obviously never be part of any backup or restore scenario (unless one would wish to use 400000 floppies for backup medium)

Is there a way to let FBackup forget about the A: drive and let it rest in peace?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
Where is your floppy drive listed under Backup Properties->Destination?

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Belbear

Post by Belbear »

I chose an external hard drive as destination. The floppy is listed as "removable"

I looked after some kind of ini file where i could exclude unwanted drives from ever being accessed, but found nothing.

All other removable drives are from various card readers.

I found out that when I insert a flashcard and point the removable drive setting to it, the floppy stops being accessed.

However, if I remove the flashcard (so none of the removable drives has a media inside) the floppy starts purring again.

And all that while I chose "external hard drive" as destination. Fbackup should not try to access ANY other drives than the ones selected as source or destination!

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
FBackup scans all drives to see which are connected.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Belbear

Post by Belbear »

Ah, so this annoying behaviour is apparently "by design". Well, in that case the solution was fairly straightforward for me: I ran FBackup's "uninstall" utility. After a reboot, everything was quiet again with the A: drive.