Frequently Asked Questions

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
Adrian (Softland)

Frequently Asked Questions

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Is FBackup really free?
Yes it’s free for both personal and commercial use. Has no watermarks, ads, or other annoying limitations.

What does FBackup stand for?
Free backups (Free + Backup).

Which operating systems does FBackup run on?
FBackup is compatible with Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server, Windows 2003 Small Business Server, Windows Vista, Windows 2008 Server, Window 7 and Windows 8. It is not compatible with Macintosh and Linux systems (you can however try using emulator software for MAC, such as Parallels Desktop for Mac, or for Linux, such as Wine)

What type of compression FBackup uses for the full backup type?
FBackup uses standard zip compression, meaning that the saved backup can be accessed with other third party zip utilities.

What does "The compressed (zipped) folder is invalid or corrupted" mean?
You receive this message because you are trying to extract files from a zip archive that was created using zip64 technology.
When creating the backup, if FBackup estimates that the resulting zip file will not exceed 4 GB and will contain less than 65,535 files, it will create the zip using standard technology. The zip archive can be unpacked with any zip utility available on the market.
However, if the resulting zip file will exceed 4 GB (or have more than 65,535 files in it), FBackup will use zip64 technology to create the archive, because this technology doesn't have limitations (regarding size or number of files).

How can I make a shortcut to an existing backup job, so that I can run it by double-clicking on a desktop shortcut?
First select the backup job you want to run. Right-click on the backup job and select "Create Shortcut" from the menu. Save the shortcut on the desktop.

I lost my backup job configuration so I only have the backup catalog, can I use it to restore the backup job?
Yes. Just double-click on the catalog file. FBackup will be invoked and a new backup job will be created based on the backup catalog file.

How can I copy a backup job (create a new one similar to an existing one)?
Select the backup job you want to copy from the left side bar, right-click it and select "Create like (CTRL+L)". The new backup job will be created with the same configurations as the original one (but different name).

hanlar

Post by hanlar »

My first backup to an external disk with FBackup took about one hour.

I then updated one of my files on the PC C-drive and tried to update the previous backup with this file only. But FBackup overwrites all files again, and I have to wait another hour for this minor change. What do I do wrong?

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
It seems you use the Full backup type which backs up all files every time you run the backup.

You should use the Mirror backup type which will only update the backup with new and modified files.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Adrian (Softland)

Hi guyz,

Excellent backup and free - yes! Now, I think this also goes under FAQ:
1.) How does FBackup handle temporary ZIP file creation in case of LOCAL disk backup? I have iSCSI disk attached as local disk, and I am wondering, if FBackup transfers each file to DESTINATION, then compresses it and encrypts (if selected), transfers it back to local RAM, then adds it to destination ZIP finally. Or how does it work?
2.) Is there any option to select RETENTION of files in any mode (full or mirror)? For example, to save last 3 versions of files.
thanx!

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
1. If the backup type is selected, the source files are zipped in the local temporary folder, the resulting zip file is moved in destination. If the Mirror type is selected, the files are directly copied to destination.

2. Keeping multiple backup versions is not available in FBackup. That feature is available only in our commercial edition: Backup4all