how to keep old backups

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
jonic

Post by jonic »

I have setup a scheduled full backup to run every night doing the backup on an external usb disk. My intention was to keep the old backups and only manually delete them when the external disk got close to full. So I didn't select the option clear backup option.

However I see that only the archive from the last backup is kept.(after the first run I had an 1-E.zip archive, now after the second I have only an 2-E.zip archive.
Is there any way to keep all the daily backups?
Thank you,

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
You cannot keep multiple backup versions using FBackup. The previous version is deleted when you run a new backup.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

jbattyb

Post by jbattyb »

BAH! Right when I thought FBackup was exactly what I was looking for, I find out it erases old backups! oh man...
Don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging on FBackup, because I really do think it is awesome... BUT could even be better if the option to save a series of old backups were added! :)
Can this be put on the wish list too?? If not, is there a particular reason for not having this option?
I can't speak for everyone, but I personally like the option of going back to a particular backup date and (if needed) restoring deleted files/folders that may not be in the most recent backup.
Cheers,

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
We added you feature request on our wishlist. I cannot give you an exact date when it will be implemented.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

I also would prefer to save all my old backups, and delete the oldest backups only when my drive is getting full. It would let me restore the version of a file as of an older date, rather than just the most recently backed up version. The mirror system is excellent for keeping an up to date copy of all files, and it is very efficient in that it backs up only the files that have changed. But the 'full' (zip) version should keep all older versions so that one may go back in time if desired.

It doesn't seem like this would be difficult to implement. You already create a new zip file for each backup, then after completion you delete the older version. Just don't delete the older version when the backup has finished. Seems like a simple check box option is all that would be required.

Please consider implementing this.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
If you need those features, please try our commercial application: Backup4all

Susi

Post by Susi »

Try using a Change_Backup_Name.cmd and run it before or after backup running.