intermittent failure to launch ver4.7

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
gail0279

Post by gail0279 »

One employee is having intermittent issues trying to run Fbackup. What I have discovered is that the Fbackup.exe is "not releasing" and remains in the PROCESSESS of the Task Manager. If I go there and "end process" disregarding the warning, the program is released. After exiting TaskManager I can then run the program.
What I notice is that when I click on the desktop shortcut I won't see the hourglass icon. The employee claims to hear a buzzing sound but nothing happens. The external drive is not the issue as it is always confirmed to be accessible when this issue occurs. However, if the hourglass displays it takes a few moments but the program will start.
I am not at this physical location but determine this by remote login. Any ideas onwhat the issue may be and how to correct this?
the PC is using Windows XP SP3 backing up to external drive connected via USB connected to UPS battery backup and running Fbackup 4.7.266

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
Please do not create duplicate posts for the same problem.
Make sure you always have the latest version of the program, which is now 4.7.270.

Before trying to start FBackup from the desktop icon, please make sure the program is not already running in Task Manager.

Is FBackup running under multiple users accounts on that computer?

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

gail0279

Post by gail0279 »

Thank you Admin. i will check that out - it is possible

gail0279

Post by gail0279 »

I did check this out. On this XP computer there is only one user. This XP computer is connected via lan intranet to one Windows7 OS laptop that also has the Fbackup program installed. However the backups on the laptop do not refer to the data location of the XPcomputer
What else would cause the XP to keep the Fbackup.exe file in processes tab while it is not showing in the applications tab of the XP's Task Manager. The only resolution I have found to date is to "release" the executable file by "ending the process" on the XP Task manager. Then Fbackup will run as it should.
This is an intermittent problem but very frustrating to the employee. I hesitate to instruct any employee to mess with and terminate processes listed on the Task Manager Processes tab

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
Please open FBackup, go to Tools->Options->Startup.

Make sure the "Close to tray" and "Minimize to tray" options are not checked.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html