Is Windows Login Required for FBackup to run

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
gail0279

Is Windows Login Required for FBackup to run

Post by gail0279 »

If Fbackup set to run after hours does the user have to be logged in?
Is there a where to have this disable so that the backup will run while all users are logged off
Is ther another option - if users are logged in this might be considered a security issue
thank you

Adrian (Softland)

Re: Is Windows Login Required for FBackup to run

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,

You can run the backup even there is no user logged on. In Backup Properties->Scheduler->Add, please use the With Windows Scheduler option.
Press the Set password and type your Windows login password for that account.

gail0279

Post by gail0279 »

I have tried that and used both the normal users account login as well as the admin login. I then logged out of each test and neither one called for the backup to run. This was done several times. I confirmed the properties in Windows Task Scheduler were set to "run even if user not loggged in". I tried when the laptops were configured for Windows 7 (which they all are) and with the default property for configuration.

The only way Fbackup runs is if at least one user is logged in under windows I tried this several times. In my mind leaving a user logged in poses a security threat.

I am running and confirmed that I have the latest version of Fbackup 4.83.285 and a destination file to a network drive (tested Okay)

So what now? :roll:

Thanks Gail

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

From Control Panel->Task Scheduler, you should be able to create a simple Windows scheduled task to run a specified task when no user is logged on.
Can you create a task from there not related to FBackup?
Does it ran?

gail0279

Post by gail0279 »

I can create a task directly in Task Schedluer, HOWEVER, I get a message that says
The task requires that the user account specified has Log on as batch job rights. See the task Security Context topic in Help

The instructions within the Help file ndicates to set "Logon as batch job" in Admin Tools | Local Security Policy. I cannot find this Local Security Policy in Admin Tools to change the User Rights Assignment as indicated in the Help topic. Can you advise?

I am using the same parameters on each tab as I saw in Fbackup task also appearing within the Task Library
This backup job is on a server in a network environment running Fbackup ver 4.8.286 and Windows7 Home Premium

Thanks
Gail

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

Were you able to ran a scheduled task for another application, without involving FBackup?

gail0279

Post by gail0279 »

Yes i set up several task within Task Scheduler to run at various time.
Two tasks authored by the user that would have done this via Fbackup if it would have worked and two authored by the Admin user
All of them had the "Use whether user is logged on or not" option
All were also checked at box "Run wih highest privileges"
and configured for Windows 2003, windows XP and Windows 2008 Server.
These two machines are using Windows7 Home Premium SP1.

I have confirmed they run when all users are logged off. BUT the Fbackup program does not report a correct Last Backup Date correctly.

They did NOT run if the "Run With Highest Privileges" was UNCHECKED

Then I set up a task within Fbackup on a third machine running same OS as others. I confirmed Task Scheduler recorded the task without the "Highest Privileges" (can't do this via Fbackup).

Then I logged off. I watched the lights on the external drive which did not indicate it had been accessed which it does if a backup runs while logged in.

Then I logged back in and reviewed Task Scheduler which reported the task had run, updated the next run time date and showed Last Run Result as "0x80070569". This is a very different number from other successfully run task results.

Then I opened Fbackup, the display at 'Last Backup Date:' had not changed from an older date but did update the "Next Scheduled Backup" for the next day and time as would be expected.

Then I read the directory listing on the external drive which still showed the old date/time as well which I assume means that although task scheduler shows a Last Run Date as the task having successfully completed it, in fact, HAD NOT.

So what is the REAL story. What does the number at Last Run Date in Task Scheduler mean.
Why doesn't Fbackup report the Last Run Date correctly IF it had run?

All of these problems began since upgrading to Windows 7

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

If the last backup ran, there should be a log in View->Job Logs->Last backup log.
If it didn't run, you should create a scheduled task as you did for the other applications in order to run FBackup.
Use the parameters from a task scheduler created from FBackup.

valerit1

Post by valerit1 »

"You can run the backup even there is no user logged on. In Backup Properties->Scheduler->Add, please use the With Windows Scheduler option.
Press the Set password and type your Windows login password for that account."

I use FBackup 5.1 under Windows 7 and 8.1. Both DO NOT have password for the admin user. So, when I create task, when it asks for a password for the user, I leave it blank, try to save - no task saved.
Ho do I overcome it if I do not want to have a password for this user?
Thanks!

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,

You cannot create the task without password because Windows does not allow you that.
Please use the "Run only if the user is logged on" option.