Looks Like Good Program but lousy instructions

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
Wadey

Post by Wadey »

I downloaded the install file (easy), selected files to be backed up (easy, except network files not supported), selected location for backup (easy) and type of backup (easy). Then scheduled backups to occur daily at 11pm (easy - but threw up error which I did not understand). Ran the backup (easy) and checked that the back up files existed.
Then tried to access the stored backup details to find out why the scheduling error happened, but could not find the saved backup details. When I clicked on the icon, the list box showed no files.
I did some reading, and there seemed to be something about plugins, but made absolutely no sense to me.
Surely the program should be able to store a simple backup list? Or is it like any other backup program I have tried - needs an experience programmer to figure out how to read the instructions, let alone use the program?
Hey dudes, it may be good, but it sure ain't "simple".
Any help would be appreciated.

Wadey

Post by Wadey »

Further to the above, I downloaded the PDF User-Manual. ON the section for "How to Schedule a backup" it says to click on the "Properties" icon and go to "Scheduler" Page. Nope, no Scheduler Page, just a dialogue box headed backup properties and options to "Save and Run", "Change Icon", "Save" and "Cancel".
The Manual seems just as confused as the program itself.
Can anyone help, please. Or is it just another backup program to be consigned to the recycle bin?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
The scheduler page is there. See the image:

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Can you tell me the exact error received when trying to set up the scheduler?

Do you have a Windows login password?

What version of Windows you use?

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

msand42

Post by msand42 »

Wadey, a few things...

1. The results of a backup run are in View>Job Logs>Last Backup Log. This is a text file showing every folder and file that has been added or deleted from the backup. View>Job Logs>Open Log Folder will take you to the \Logs folder where all the current and previous logs are stored.
2. Reading the pdf user manual I surmised that it covers both the free FBackup (which I have) and the paid Backup4all Professional version. However the manual does not indicate which items are specifically for Backup4all. I would hope that some day the manual is revised accordingly.
3. Scheduled tasks are placed in \WINDOWS\Tasks.

They are also accessed via Windows Control Panel>Scheduled Tasks. You can click on these to change the schedule, and of course you can change the schedule within FBackup.
4. Once you got it figured out, FBackup is GREAT program!