Network Backup Error - Cannot create destination directory

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
ahoffman

Post by ahoffman »

I recently installed FBackup and was able to successfully setup a mirror type backup to a network-connected external hard drive (a simple NAS, I guess). The initial backup job was successful and I also manually ran the job a few times subsequently without problem. Today a scheduled backup was set to run and failed with the error message below. I now also receive the same message when I try to manually run the backup:
Cannot create destination directory: "\\SERVERNAME\FolderName\SubFolderName\".

An unexpected network error occurred.
The subfolder name that the error message refers to is the destination directory I chose for the backup. That subfolder already exists from the first time this backup was run.
I found a previous post that stated that folder permissions were a potential cause for this message. However, I can access this network path fine through Windows Explorer and I can create or delete files/folders without a problem, so I should have proper permissions for the folder.
Any suggestions?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
What is changed since the first time when the backup ran successfully?

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

ahoffman

Post by ahoffman »

To my knowledge nothing has changed since the first backup ran successfully. I can try to create a completely new backup on a different directory of the server to see if that works, but I was trying to avoid that since I have about 15GB of data to backup and the initial copy takes a long time.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
Do you use an administrator account? Do you have other permission issues?

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

ahoffman

Post by ahoffman »

Yes, I use an administrator account. As far as I know, I do not have any other problems with permissions.
The backup is set to run once a day. After failing every day for about a week with the error message above, today the backup ran successfully. I did not change any settings or configuration. Not sure what changed but it appears to be working now. Very strange.

jay28shah

Post by jay28shah »

HI,
I am looking for BackUp software, which is secured, more reliable and user friendly. Which can do Schedule Backup for around 50Nodes. It shouldn't make processor slow when it is on the task or backup is running. Looking for s/w which can directly do schedule back to my NAS drive. No data loose. If somebody make changes into file and that

specific file will again taken for data back then I must have two option of back up , one is original file and other is modified file.
Can I get all solutions from FBack Up?
Regards,

Jay Shah

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
Those features are included in our commercial edition: Backup4all.