Scheduled task when logged off

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
blacky7312

Post by blacky7312 »

Hi
I have successfully installed and setup a backup job as local administrator. This job is using windows scheduler as I cannot leave the computer logged on.
When I am logged in and set the schedule to run in 5 minutes time I wait and can see the job start successfully (so I know the schedule job works correctly)
When I change the scheduled job to run again in 5 minutes time and log off the computer the job does not start.
I have other non fbackup scheduled tasks which run correctly when logged out so I know scheduled tasks in windows is running correctly.
I have tried adding the fbackup schedule task manually but get the same problem.
The job is set as below and as mentioned works as it should when I am logged in, its only when I log out the job fails to start
Run: C:\Program Files (x86)\Softland\FBackup 4\fbaSchedStarter.exe" /R "backup Job"

Start in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Softland\FBackup 4\"

Run only if logged on UNTICKED.
Fbackup version is V4.6 build 255
Thank you in advance for your help

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
When you create a scheduler from FBackup using the Windows scheduler option, is the task created in Task Scheduler (Start->Control Panel->Task Scheduler) ?

If yes, what is different than the other tasks which works?

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

blacky7312

Post by blacky7312 »

Hi, yes the job is created in windows scheduled tasks.
There is no difference in a job that runs and the fbackup job that doesnt other than the command that is run.
Thank you

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
There must be a difference.

Try to manually create a new task in Task scheduler for FBackup.

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

blacky7312

Post by blacky7312 »

Hi
As mentioned in the orginal post I have tried creating a manual FBackup scheduled job with no difference.
The only difference between a working job and a non working job is the command run. all other options are the same.
If you were setting up a brand new job that would need to run with no users logged on what would be the procedure / login to run under etc.
Here is the procedure I did
1. Create backup job and test

2. set schedule to use windows scheduler

3. Job auto created in scheduled tasks running as local admin (Same user that setup job)

4. Test job while logged in correctly

5. test job while logged out (job doesnt work)

6. Create schedule task from scratch and test while logged in correctly

7. rerun new scheduled task while logged out (job doesnt work)

8. Set job to create text file before running fbackup (txt file created so job is starting however fbackup doesnt run)
Thank you

yrasupport

Post by yrasupport »

I am having the same problem. My fbackup is installed on a Windows 2003 server. Logged out will never do a backup, logged in works every time. Windows schedule says it has run, fbackup says no when logged out.

Today I installed version 4.6.255, and still the same result

kpawson

Post by kpawson »

I'm also having the same issue with scheduled jobs and have tried the manual task creation option as well. Running WS2008R2 with FBackup version 4.6 build 255.

Adrian (Softland)

@blacky7312:

After creating the backup job using "Windows scheduler" option from FBackup, open the task from Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Task Scheduler, and check the option to run even if there is no user logged on.
@yrasupport and kpawson: Do you have a Windows login password?

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Team, There is something fundamentally wrong with scheduled task execution for FBackup when the user is logged out. I have proven that unattended backups using FBackup 4.6 build 255 will not work on Windows 7 where as Backup4all will work. There are considerable differences in the file ownership and security between the two products, not sure if that is a lead or not. I am interested in 'Admins' perspective.

Adrian (Softland)

Hi,
I can confirm there is no difference in the scheduler. Both schedulers works fine here, the problem is with the configurations you made or permissions you have.

I assisted many users to fix the scheduler problem and in almost all cases there is a configuration problem on their side.

When there is a problem in our application, we fix it immediately.