Source Error (code121) while performing backup

Post here if you have problems installing or using FBackup
onebrow

Post by onebrow »

Running Windows XP (SP3)- I am in the process of doing a mirror backup (to an external drive) of a compressed drive (also external)and after 11 hours the process has stopped (59% of the way through the job).

The log file is reporting:
"Source error (code 121). The semaphore timeout period has expired."
The programme has not aborted and appears to be waiting for some action to be performed by me. Task Manager is showing that Fbackup is still 'running'.

Does anyone know whether there is any way I can continue this job - or will I have to abort?

Adrian (Softland)

Post by Adrian (Softland) »

Hi,
What is the size of the backup?

Do you have the same problem for small backups?

Do you know you can monitor your backups remotely with Backup4all Monitor? You can read more here: https://www.backup4all.com/backup4all-monitor.html

onebrow

Post by onebrow »

Thanks for getting back to me, but as I had no response after a few days, I had to abandon the operation anyway.

But it was a sizeable backup - about 30 - 40 Gbytes. I now realise that the source files were being un-compressed during the process, and were also being backed up in this uncompressed form.

I had assumed that the whole thing was just going to be a mirror image. Eventually I laboriously went through all the folders, copied the essential ones onto the new drive, and discarded the rest!

It was an old backup of a laptop drive that I wanted to keep "in case", but I gave up in the end, and resorted to the method above.

I hadn't had any problems like this with other backups - my entire iTunes music collection, for example - but I admit I am quite new to this type of operation.